Am I missing something obvious here? - EM induction

In summary, we have a square coil of wire with dimensions and resistance given. It is placed in a magnetic field and rotated through 180 degrees, causing a total charge of 120[tex]\mu[/texC to flow through the coil. The magnitude of the induced magnetic field can be found using the equation emf = -NBA/t = IR = QR/t. The rate of change of the magnetic flux induces an emf in the coils, which causes the current to flow since the coils act as an electric power supply. The resistance in the circuit is that of the coils themselves.
Brewer

Homework Statement

A square coil of wire has sides of length 10mm, consists of 2000 turns and has a resistance of 250[tex]\omega[/tex]. The coil is placed in a magnetic field such that the normal to the plane of the coil is parallel to the direction of the field. When the coil is rotated through 180 degrees and total charge of 120[tex]\mu[/texC flows through the coil. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field? If the rotation of the coil takes 0.2s what is the maximum voltage induced? (assume the coil is rotated at a constant rate)?

Homework Equations

Not sure - if I knew them I could probably do it!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure - most of the equations for this kind of situation don't seem to make sense with the variables given. For the first part I think I could probably get an answer if I had the current flowing, but I don't. I know I=Q/t, but again in the first part I don't have the time, so that approach is out.
I've just had another look, and I still can't see the answer, or how to approach it.Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html"

Navigate the links: Electricity and magnetism, then Faraday's law

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sound on the second part of the question, the voltage produced, its the first part that I'm most stuck on and that doesn't seem to help me. Or not that I can see at all.

http://www.saburchill.com/physics/chapters/0056.html"

See electromagnetic induction links:

http://www.saburchill.com/physics/chap02.html"

I get how to calculate the flux, but I'm not given that in the question (or at least I don't think I can calculate it with what I'm given). I understand that I could calculate the B field with that, but as I said, I'm not given it am I?

Ok I think its just come to me:

emf = -NBA/t = IR = QR/t

I have all those variables, so that should be able to be solved to find B, yes?

It is the rate of change of the magnetic flux that induces an emf in the coils. In this particular case the change is produced by changing the exposed area to the constant magnetic field.

I would think that these concepts would take quite some time to convey to students. So you must have missed quite a few lectures?

I did miss a couple, but I was in the lectures for Magnetic Inductance. I understand what you're getting at there, I just didn't think that I had the variables given to me to calcuate the flux, and hence the magnetic field.

Since we agree that the magnetic field remains constant what then causes the induced emf in the coils?

Yes, you can calculate the induced emf (which causes the current to flow since the coils now acts as an electric power supply) with the current and resistance. The problem suggests that the end of the coils are tied together so the only resistance in the circuit is that of the coils themselves.

1. What is EM induction?

EM induction is the process by which an electric current is produced in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s.

2. How does EM induction work?

EM induction works by moving a conductor through a magnetic field or by changing the strength of the magnetic field around a stationary conductor. This creates a flow of electrons, known as an electric current, in the conductor.

3. What are some examples of EM induction?

Some common examples of EM induction include generators, transformers, and electric motors. In generators, mechanical energy is converted into electrical energy through the use of EM induction. Transformers use EM induction to change the voltage of an alternating current, while electric motors use it to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

4. What are the applications of EM induction?

EM induction has a wide range of applications in various fields, including power generation, transportation, and communication. It is used in power plants to generate electricity, in trains to power electric motors, and in telecommunication devices to transmit and receive signals.

5. How is EM induction related to electromagnetic waves?

EM induction is closely related to electromagnetic waves. As a changing magnetic field induces an electric current, a changing electric field can also induce a magnetic field. This relationship between electricity and magnetism is the basis for the propagation of electromagnetic waves, which are used in technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.