1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I setting myself up for failure with this schedule?

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to double major but I fell behind taking pre med bio classes so I may need to overload this next semester

Freshman/sophmore level physics classes
    1. This course covers the topics of: electromagnetic waves, optics, and modern physics, condensed matter and nuclear physics.
    2. The topics covered in this course include: Mechanical waves, Thermodynamics, electricity, magnetism.
    ^ these have to be done and I have heard 2. is a difficult weeder class

Math classes
    3. Introduction to the language and problems of mathematics. Topics include set theory, symbolic logic, types of proofs, and mathematical induction. Special emphasis is given to improving the student's ability to construct, explain, and justify mathematical arguments.

Have to finish this one also to take upper division math courses

4. Vector spaces, linear transformations, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear functions, inner-product spaces, bilinear forms, quadratic forms, orthogonal and unitary transformations, selected applications.
    5. Classical methods for solving partial differential equations including separation of variables, Green's functions, the Riemann-Volterra method and Cauchy's problem for elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic equations; applications to theoretical physics.

^These two are classes that I feel will help me with upper division physics classes

Total units 18(I may have to squeeze in an online ge class for total 21 units)

The most I have done before is 18 units with 3 science classes(two bio and organic chem) and a general education class. These will all be hard classes for me and I'm curious if these types of loads are normal if you double major. I have read online people doing harder schedules with work and research and I will only be working about 10 hours on campus no research.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #2
    I, personally, wouldn't take #5 without have taken the linear algebra class outlined in #4. It seems like #5 is a PDE course or a math methods course which having the practice from course #4 would help. Taking 1, 2, 3, 4 and the online class would be a very, very difficult schedule especially since #3 looks like a typical intro to proofs class, and proofs aren't easy to do when first starting out.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take out class #5 and wait a semester to take it. Good luck!

4. Oct 30, 2015 #3
    What math and physics courses have you taken so far?

5. Nov 1, 2015 #4
    Freshman/sophmore level mechanics course for physics and up to differential equations for math(I did well in all these classes). I was unable to take physics several semesters due to chem bio classes taking up so much time. I am going to drop the partial differential equations class as mentioned. That will put me at 15 units of tough classes which is more then I like but I do greatly enjoy the subjects. Thanks for the advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook