Am i smart enough to be a computer programmer?

• Thread starter jake2007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the conversation discusses the correlation between IQ and success as a computer programmer. It is mentioned that an IQ of at least 108 is needed, but others argue that with hard work, anyone can succeed in programming. The conversation also touches on hacking and the possibility of getting a job at the CIA. Then, a code is provided to determine if one is "smart enough" to be a programmer, but it is ultimately concluded that IQ is not the most important factor in programming success.
jake2007
my iq is 107 according to that ravens test. is that high enough to be a successful computer programmer?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The smart people actually kill themselves. That's how I know I ain't so smart.

Never happen! You need at leate a 108. :rofl:

Don't worry about your IQ. That is just a measure of your ability to take IQ tests. If you want to learn programing get a compiler for some language (Doesn't really matter which) and start programming.

Your IQ is not important! With enough work, anyone can hack into the CIA!

Math Jeans said:
Your IQ is not important! With enough work, anyone can hack into the CIA!

I hear that's a good way of getting a job there.

After, of course, serving a few years in the state pen...

Mallignamius said:
After, of course, serving a few years in the state pen...

Not if your good enough :biggrin:. SSHHHHHH.

I keep getting the feeling that I will get shot if I keep about this :rofl:.

...she did it !

This will tell if if your smart enough:

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using std::cin;
using std::cout;

int main(){

string a = "Yes";
string b = "No";

char dummy;

cout << "Do you want to know if you're smart enough to be a programmer?\n";
cin >> dummy;
cout << "Well, " << a <<" you are.  Even if you did input something into a variable called dummy.\n";

return 0;
}

1. Am I too old to become a computer programmer?

No, age is not a determining factor in becoming a computer programmer. As long as you have the passion and willingness to learn, you can become a successful programmer at any age.

2. Do I need to have strong math skills to be a computer programmer?

While having a good understanding of math can be helpful, it is not a requirement for becoming a computer programmer. There are many other important skills, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, that are equally important in this field.

3. Is it necessary to have a computer science degree to be a computer programmer?

No, having a degree in computer science is not a requirement to become a computer programmer. There are many successful programmers who are self-taught or have a degree in a different field. What matters most is your programming skills and experience.

4. How long does it take to become a proficient computer programmer?

The time it takes to become a proficient computer programmer varies for each individual. It depends on your dedication, motivation, and how much time you devote to learning and practicing. It can take anywhere from a few months to a few years.

5. Can anyone become a computer programmer?

Yes, anyone can become a computer programmer with the right mindset and determination. It may be challenging at times, but with hard work and persistence, anyone can learn the necessary skills to become a successful programmer.