Am I smart enough to study Physics?

In summary: How do you know if you are smart enough to study physics?In summary, the person is unsure if they have what it takes to study math and physics, but they have a curiosity about the natural world and a desire to understand the mathematical reality that binds it. They have no previous physics classes and have put minimal effort into their math classes. They are looking for inspiration and motivation to pursue physics and are unsure if they are smart enough to succeed in the field.
TruthSeeker
Little bit about myself. I go to a top 50 school and I'm currently majoring in Math. I got an A in Cal 1 and 2 and a C in Cal 3. I got an A- in Discrete Math. No physics classes. I did not really put any effort in Cal 3 and did not do any homework (currently poorly motivate, which is why I want to get out of Math). Still I'm unsure whether I have what it takes to study math/physics. I got a B in regular high school physics. I have a curiosity of the natural world, but I'm afraid that this curiosity might just be shallow. I want to understand the mathematical reality which binds the physical world. How do you know if you are smart enough to study physics? Where do you get your motivation from? Also if I wanted to go to grad school in say physics, would a math degree and two lower division physics classes be enough to get in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your topic title:
Am I smart enough to study Physics?

and what you say about yourself:
I got an A in Cal 1 and 2 and a C in Cal 3. I got an A- in Discrete Math. No physics classes. I did not really put any effort in Cal 3 and did not do any homework (currently poorly motivate, which is why I want to get out of Math). Still I'm unsure whether I have what it takes to study math/physics.

means, Yes.

TruthSeeker said:
No physics classes. I did not really put any effort in Cal 3 and did not do any homework (currently poorly motivate, which is why I want to get out of Math).
You won't get far in physics before seeing a lot more math than you've already seen.

You mentioned nothing of Trigonometry, but one would assume that more than just basic Trigonometry was used and learned (or relearned) as part of your Calc 2 & 3. Like I say, you are almost certainly "smart enough" to study Physics.

Mark44 said:
You won't get far in physics before seeing a lot more math than you've already seen.

I mean I like math, but I don't see the point in studying pure math. By getting out of math I mean getting out of pure math. Although cal 3 was not a pure math class, I have to say that when you have no motivation or direction it can be hard to accomplish things. That is my real problem.. Can someone inspire me or suggest an inspirational physics book?

TruthSeeker said:
I mean I like math, but I don't see the point in studying pure math. By getting out of math I mean getting out of pure math. Although cal 3 was not a pure math class, I have to say that when you have no motivation or direction it can be hard to accomplish things. That is my real problem.. Can someone inspire me or suggest an inspirational physics book?
*I mean cal 3 is not a proof based class.

TruthSeeker said:
TruthSeeker said:
*I mean cal 3 is not a proof based class.
You may APPLY some Calculus and Calculus 3 material as TOOLS in the study of Physics. NOW you may feel better about picking Physics as a major field to study.

TruthSeeker said:
I did not really put any effort in Cal 3 and did not do any homework (currently poorly motivate, which is why I want to get out of Math).
If you don't put in any effort and don't do any homework then it doesn't matter how smart you are. Everyone runs into a wall at some point where they can't get through on their intelligence alone. If you want to be successful in physics or mathematics, you'll need some more self-discipline

Still I'm unsure whether I have what it takes to study math/physics. I got a B in regular high school physics. I have a curiosity of the natural world, but I'm afraid that this curiosity might just be shallow. I want to understand the mathematical reality which binds the physical world. How do you know if you are smart enough to study physics?
There's no real litmus test for this I'm afraid. You just start studying it and you'll find out if you're smart enough along the way. In most cases if you're not at least reasonably sure that you want to do it from the beginning, it's probably not the path for you.

Also if I wanted to go to grad school in say physics, would a math degree and two lower division physics classes be enough to get in?
Most programs won't seriously consider you unless you have a number of core upper year physics courses. There may be a rare exception, but at this point in the game if you're seriously considering graduate school for physics, it's best to transfer and pick up the course that you need.

TruthSeeker said:
...when you have no motivation or direction it can be hard to accomplish things. That is my real problem.. Can someone inspire me or suggest an inspirational physics book?
Motivation is intrinsic. It's not really something that we can give you. That said, you can foster it by exploring as much as you can on your own. If you're interested in a subject, read up on it on your own. Take up a project or two and get your hands dirty.

1. Am I born with the natural ability to understand Physics?

No, intelligence and understanding of Physics are not purely innate. While some may have a predisposition for logical and analytical thinking, anyone can learn and excel in Physics through dedication and hard work.

2. Do I need to be good at math to study Physics?

Having a strong foundation in math is essential for studying Physics, as it involves complex mathematical concepts. However, with consistent practice and effort, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in Physics.

3. Will I be able to understand the theoretical concepts of Physics?

Understanding theoretical concepts in Physics can be challenging, but it is achievable with persistence and critical thinking. As you progress in your studies, you will develop the necessary skills and knowledge to grasp these concepts.

4. Is Physics only for geniuses?

No, Physics is a subject that can be learned and understood by anyone. It requires dedication, hard work, and a willingness to learn and improve. With the right mindset and approach, anyone can excel in Physics.

5. What if I struggle with Physics in school?

Struggling with Physics in school does not mean that you are not smart enough to study it. It could be a result of various factors, such as a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts or ineffective study methods. With proper guidance and support, anyone can overcome their struggles and succeed in Physics.