Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I The Only Person Who Hates Google?

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    To me, and maybe this is just me hating a large corporation, but for some reason, I just have a disdain for Google. Maybe cause I'm jealous that I don't work for them? But I just don't trust this organization. I don't like the idea of large corporations with so much power and money, and google is becoming one of them. Why the need to 'provide' so many services? why the need to do and find out everything? Who gave them permission to drive down my block and take a picture of my house? If google just shut up, and stayed a search engine I'd be more than willing to use it, but at this point its like 'enough is enough'.

Their new "Google Chrome" is like a virus, it installs these updates automatically, without telling you whats in it. Stuff like this really irks me, you don't see Yahoo forcing themselves in your face...Is it just me? Does anyone else feel like this? I don't want it to get to a point where Google has the power to 'keep an eye' on us, and know where we are, and things like that. I'd love to hear what you guys think..
    I know their slogan is "Don't Be Evil" but come on, to quote a sterotypical teenage, get out of my life!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2
    Does anyone need permission to take a photo from a public place?

I think it is just you :) Google is a necessary competitor with Apple and Microsoft. I enjoy most of their products. I do agree they spread themselves a little thin.

4. Oct 7, 2011 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

As with all corporations, so it is with technology services: innovate or die.

Just ask RIM...

5. Oct 7, 2011 #4
    I love google. and google chrome. And I'd rather google update automatically, unlike those java crazies over at sun microsystems asking me everyday to run an install process.

6. Oct 7, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's not what's happening really. They don't only take the picture, but also post it on the internet without blurring out any of the faces (I think). I'm sure that got to be illegal.

I don't have a problem with it, but I understand people who do.

7. Oct 7, 2011 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They blur the faces. As well as the interiors of houses, etc.

8. Oct 7, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ah, didn't know that. That's good :smile:

9. Oct 25, 2011 #8
    yes i think so.....may be bing and yahoo love Google sometimes......:)

10. Oct 25, 2011 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I despise Google as a corporation but I love the services that they provide and in our capitalist society, which I mostly approve of, I recognize that corporations are NOT there to give us wonderful services, they are there to make money, so it would just be querulous of me to complain that they do stuff I don't like when that's what supports the stuff I DO like. I DO think their "do no evil" is just corporate advertising BS even if, giving them the benefit of the doubt, the founders may have meant it early on.

11. Oct 31, 2011 #10
    No opinion on the corporation but Google's search engine has gone down the tubes because they are making concessions for people who can't spell which guarantees far more useless returns on a search performed by someone with brains.

I am amazed when a search is performed with quotes around the exact wording yet Google returns results nothing like what was put inside the quotes.

12. Oct 31, 2011 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am a superior speller, yet, because I Google in a hurry, I often make typos. Google gets me what I need, fast, because it's smart enough to actually assist me. That's the highest task to which a computerize service can hope to attain.

That being said, when you tell it with quotes exactly what you want, it should be obedient, and be smart enough to recognize when you are asking for something specific.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook