What do you do with obsolete technology?

• Thread starter RPinPA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, the conversation revolves around dealing with sentimental items that have become obsolete or useless. The participants discuss various options such as donating, selling, or disposing of these items. They also share personal experiences and offer advice on how to handle these situations. The conversation also touches on the potential danger of giving away old data drives and the idea of creating content around ancient technology.
Being an amateur radio operator for more years than I care to remember
The hoarding of electronics is a given, specially for those of us that are active constructors
rather than an appliance operator 😉
Even the thought of tossing a bit of electronics that could be scavenged for bits is a crime haha

But now at the tender young age of 60, I really do need to start sorting some stuff. The thought
of something happening to me and leaving the poor wifey to sort it all out would be a bit unfair.
I also have to realize, that with health not the best and eyesight getting worse, I am never going to
use all the stuff I have collected. My construction activities have declined rapidly in recent years.

I had one huge cleanout 20 yrs ago before I left New Zealand to come to Australia. Now 20 yrs later
and the accumulation in Australia has again reached excessive proportions haha

Dave

Computer science news on Phys.org
davenn said:
The hoarding of electronics is a given, specially for those of us that are active constructors
I used to be like you, but I discovered the cure. We moved from a house to a sailboat. Nothing left behind, even in storage. During the move all out possessions in the world had to fit in the airline checked baggage allowance.

I must admit that we retrogressed. After 13 years, we sold the boat. We now live in 2 RVs (one in Vermont, one in Florida). That's about 800 square feet, compared to 250 on the boat.

You could daydream of being a Mars colonist, with an allowance of 1 kg personal stuff. At least that puts a positive spin on it. :cool:

Likes Klystron, davenn and BillTre
Last week, my wife and I got new carpeting in our house, to replace the carpet that was laid down when the house was built in '98. We have a fairly large house, so the project took two and a half days to complete. Everything sitting on a carpet had to be moved -- beds, living room furniture, six bookcases, stereo equipment, etc.
This was an opportunity for us to get rid of lots of books that we didn't wish to keep, as well as my computer stuff that I will probably never use again, such as 5 1/4" and 3 1/2" floppy disks (neither of my two computers has a floppy drive). I did keep my slide rules, though.

Likes nsaspook and anorlunda
Mark44 said:
I did keep my slide rules, though.
As did I. Even when living on the boat, my slide rule in its holster was always close by.

Likes nsaspook
Here is something that my wife pulled out of storage somewhere.
It used to belong to my dead father-in-law who used to make and fly ultralight airplanes.
It is some kind of slide rule-like think for dead reaconning navigation. My dad had a circular slide rule for use in flying, but not like this one.
2019-08-26_09-18-20-0700.jpg

2019-08-26_09-18-39-0700.jpg

2019-08-26_09-19-32-0700.jpg

Wow !
IIRC, a simpler version was popular with Yachties. I've vague memories of my father trying to get to grips with something similar on a basic navigation course.
Must be said, that taught me a lot about vector sums...

Also, several charts he bought came rolled in 'discards', one for a fjord. My young brother and I arranged several large boxes and a periscope, navigated our 'X-Sub' to lay saddle-mines and sink the Tirpitz...

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Here is something that my wife pulled out of storage somewhere.
Guess what? They are still for sale. Only $49.95. 😄

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/deluxe-color-coded-e6b-flight-computer.html

Likes BillTre
It has been decades since I flew a small single engine plane but I still have my a plastic version of that device with a fixed protractor and a separate circular calculator for determine ground vs flight speed. Seeing this made me wonder how wind drift was determined by using a GPS and, from the information at the below website,m the process hasn't really changed much, except that GPS's indicate your actual flight path vs path to target by either a map display of the two paths or by a display of the compass angle of each path. Basically, even with a GPS, it is still the pilot's responsibility to establish the necessary flight angle to correct for drift, so don't be too quick to state those items you have as "obsolete".

www.takeflightsandiego.com › assets › documents › FlyingGPStheRightWay

Likes anorlunda
Now the Thomas Guide Maps are becoming obsolete technology. One of my relatives still uses them, and so did I up to about a few years ago. These days Google Maps seem easy enough to use.

Here's a nice general purpose circular rule. The circular ones don't have the "problem" where the result goes "off the edge" of the stationary part. Companies used to give things like this out to their customers.

I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe I should start a collection? There is a slide rule community, the Oughtred society, after a Rev. Oughtred.

circular_sr_small.jpg

Likes Nik_2213
"... where the result goes "off the edge" of the stationary part. "

Would have loved a circular slide rule, but scales on my mid-range stick were arranged such I could just turn it over and continue...