Amateur telescope eyepiece filters

In summary, the conversation is about the effectiveness of eyepiece filters for reducing light pollution and enhancing viewing of nebulae and planets. The person is considering purchasing filters and is wondering about their impact on eye relief and if they are effective enough. The filters mentioned are the Ultrablock narrowband light pollution telescope filter and the Orion Mars observation telescope eyepiece filter. The conversation also mentions a variable polarizer for darker moon viewing and using a piece of rolled up parchment paper to extend the tube for better nebula photography. The conversation also suggests using a nebula or OIII filter for better results.
Stanwyck66
So, I have a relatively small (6") Orion Dobsonian with a 25mm and 7.5mm Plossl eyepieces and live in a somewhat light polluted area. Because of this, I am considering purchasing an eyepiece filter to reduce light pollution and enhance nebula/planetary viewing. I was wondering how this would affect my viewing with my eyepiece's and their eye relief. Also, I was wondering if these filters really are effective enough to enhance the details with my scope. Here are the filters I'm considering:

http://www.telescope.com/control/ac...-narrowband-light-pollution-telescope-filters

http://www.telescope.com/control/ac...on-mars-observation-telescope-eyepiece-filter

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Those will both work great. Don't forget to get a variable polarizer as well to darken the moon as well. On sale now at Orion for $37.95. Great value IMHO.

These filters screw onto the bottom of your eyepiece and won't affect your eye relief. They lengthen your eyepiece by a quarter inch or so but that shouldn't cause any issues.

Last edited:
Filters are a good option for moon photography. For nebula, extending your tube will help a lot with light pollution without sacrificing aperature. All you need to do is tape about a 2 foot piece of rolled up parchment paper to the end of your scope. Spray paint the inside flat black.

Chronos said:
Filters are a good option for moon photography. For nebula, extending your tube will help a lot with light pollution without sacrificing aperature. All you need to do is tape about a 2 foot piece of rolled up parchment paper to the end of your scope. Spray paint the inside flat black.

I've gotten great pictures of the moon and planets, I wasn't even considering nebula photography. Is it really as simple as taping a piece of paper to the end of my scope?

No, it isn't by my experience. You aren't going to be doing much nebula photography with a dob mount unless you can convert it to a tracking mount. The rolled up paper will only cut stray light entering from relatively close sources like a streetlamp. Skyglow will be entirely unaffected by that light shield.

For nebula, try a nebula or OIII filter as well. http://www.astronomics.com/main/product.asp/catalog_name/Astronomics/category_name/RV21A4CMAMU09N7NUM1WK2VX46/product_id/ATBB1" [Broken] for about $50 that works pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the different types of amateur telescope eyepiece filters?

There are several types of amateur telescope eyepiece filters, including color filters, neutral density filters, polarizing filters, and specialty filters such as light pollution and solar filters.

2. How do color filters affect the view through a telescope?

Color filters are designed to enhance specific wavelengths of light, such as red, blue, or green. This can help bring out details on planets and other celestial objects, as well as improve contrast and reduce glare.

3. Can I stack multiple eyepiece filters for better results?

While it is possible to stack filters, it is generally not recommended as it can lead to increased distortion and reduced image quality. It is best to use one filter at a time and experiment with different filters to find the best results.

4. Do I need a different filter for each type of telescope?

No, most eyepiece filters are designed to fit a variety of telescope brands and models. However, it is important to make sure the filter is the correct size for your specific eyepiece.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using eyepiece filters?

Yes, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and never look directly at the sun through a telescope with a filter. It is also recommended to let your telescope cool down before using a filter to avoid thermal shock.