Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amazing intelligent design videogame (video)

1. Mar 19, 2006 #1
    superb! (watch it till the end!)

Looks quite realistic to me :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2
    wow, this is definately going to be the best video game ever. I'm amazed at the programming. It's baffling how seemlessly all of it works together. This has aspects of AI all over the place... meaning, the programming seems to evolve along with the game. New commands get defined for later use, and then combined with other commands to create even more complex things and so on.

4. Mar 19, 2006 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

some programmers have entirely too much time on their hands :tongue:

5. Mar 19, 2006 #4
    It would be cool if it was multiplayer with millions of ppl playing it at the same time. Id be flying the saucer around blowing up planets constantly. Or form a saucer alliance and destroy the whole galaxy.

I bet that would annoy some people. Theyve just evolved from bacteria and built a global civilisation when a ufo comes down from the sky and destroys the whole planet :smile:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  6. Mar 19, 2006 #5
    Video Games aren't there to be realistic.

7. Mar 19, 2006 #6
    it is though, although not directly, thats what he said in the video. It's just asyncronous, which I suppose means that every detail of what others do isn't communicated, rather the game 'learns' the playing style of the player and tries to imitate the player... kind of like a representative democracy type approach. The game simulates the other players in your particular game, so everything can still go on without huge communication problems (all of your bandwidth taken up... ie. lag).

8. Mar 19, 2006 #7
    I'm impressed...that is incredible. The ultimate evolution game. I'd buy it.

9. Mar 19, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That is so cool!!!! I'd buy it and I don't play video games. I could see spending waaay too much time with that. Too bad the video is blurry.

10. Mar 19, 2006 #9
    I think it would have been cooler if you remained in control of only one character while everything around you evolved into something better. I'm not a big fan of Sim City type games.

11. Mar 19, 2006 #10
    Thats called grand theft auto :biggrin:

12. Mar 19, 2006 #11

Evo

I don't believe that you have to go to higher levels, you can probably continue to remain on an individual level and keep modifying your creature if that's all you want. It sounds like things will be added from other players, so options will always be changing.

13. Mar 19, 2006 #12

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I think the philosophical ramifications of this game are interesting.

At the end, or near the end, of our evolutionary path what are we left to do? Where do we go from there? In "Spore" you have two choices: Continue to play in the world ad naussem or stop playing. Is that how our reality will end up?

14. Mar 19, 2006 #13

Evo

No, you go to other planets, did you watch the whole thing? You can teraform.

15. Mar 19, 2006 #14

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Evo, yes, I did watch the whole thing.

Sure teraform all planets you want, but won't there a point were you say: "Wow, this is incredible boring, i want to do something else."? It is easy to stop playing "Spore" and pick up another computer game, but when you are dealing with reality, where do you go? What do you do?

16. Mar 19, 2006 #15

Evo

I don't know. :cry: But with my game playing proficiency, I will die of old age long before I ever get off the planet. :frown:

17. Mar 19, 2006 #16
    Simple, you die. I think the is very similar to the tale of the Wandering Jew who, in the myths, was cursed to live until Christ comes again. Most people might think of immortality as a blessing, but I think you are right, that after a long enough period of time life becomes nothing more then a boring burden. Our greatest ability is that fact we can die, becuase without it life would loose all of its meaning.

18. Mar 19, 2006 #17
    When we get that far we would just create new baby universes with different laws of physics.

19. Mar 19, 2006 #18
    And then what, when we have created every possible universe, what happens? We finite creatures cannot possibly hope to exist happily in an infinite state. Such an immortal existence would require a change in our being, and then we would cease to be human.

20. Mar 19, 2006 #19
    I think this is mostly because we cant imagine anything different from our own lifes. If u ask the people who actually died (near-death-experiencers)they tell u something quite different, that it was the best experience ever in a timeless place and they wanted to stay there forever. Whether true or not, it at least indicates that we are capable of feeling such joy and timelessness that we would never want it to end.

21. Mar 19, 2006 #20
    Possibly true, I am a skeptic concerning NDE's, but in this state I would say that our being has ceased to become human in the classical sense. Everything that comprises our nature, the instinct to survive, the struggle to improve, etc., has vanished. What are we in this timeless state? I don't know, but I know it isn't human.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?