AMD share price continues to fall.

• Thread starter blimkie.k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, AMD is having a bad time right now and could soon be going under. Intel is still a good investment, but NVIDIA is also worth looking into.
blimkie.k
I'm curious to peoples opinions of AMD, I have been using AMD over Intel for a few years however Intel just released the new centrino 2's and AMD share price is still falling. Will AMD be able to keep up? I originally thought it could soon be a good time to buy AMD shares as they have a history of rising and falling like this, but i am worried this time they will not bounce back so swiftly.

Computer science news on Phys.org
AMD had a great run from 2003-2006, but they now starting to slip not only on the business/production/logistics end but now the technical end. It doesn't look good and now I am looking at Intel more for chips. On the same token, I am really surprised to see NVIDIA get smacked around lately.

Maybe NVDIA looks like it could be a good buy. I was thinking about switching back to an INTEL based system. I might wait till I can afford a new laptop with centrino 2 and a blu ray player. The newchips are supposed to be able to supply enoguh power to watch a blu ray on one batter. I can't even watch a dvd rip on one batter.

Back to AMD this article says its a good buy.
http://www.fool.com/investing/small-cap/2008/07/20/todays-strong-buys.aspx
74% return over 3 years, with such a low share price right now you don't even have to invest that much, low risk.

NVIDIA has had a bad run of motherboard's chips of late
and is getting beat in video cards too both in price and spec's
by ATI which is owned by AMD but does not help their stock price
as the core-2 duo is so much better then the AMD chips
thats where the real money is made

Is this the kind of situation that promotes a hostile takeover ?

RonL said:
Is this the kind of situation that promotes a hostile takeover ?
Usually that requires that company has more value than it's stock price (cash in the bank/pension fund/ real estate). Intel are unlikeyl to want to buy them since it would raise monopoly concerns. The smaller chip companies would be quite happy to just snap up some of AMDs staff without buying the company, their research/fab plant in Dresden is pretty highly regarded.
What is probably more likely is a ATI-AMD demerger/rename so that ATI doesn't sink with AMD.

But this industry changes quickly, it would onyl take AMD to launch a low power Atom competitor for the new UMPC market to turn it around.

1. Why is AMD's share price falling?

There are several factors that can contribute to a company's share price falling, including changes in market conditions, negative news or rumors, and poor financial performance. In the case of AMD, some possible reasons for the recent decline in share price could include concerns about competition from other technology companies, changes in consumer demand for their products, or overall fluctuations in the stock market.

2. Is it a good time to buy AMD stock?

Determining whether or not it is a good time to buy a particular stock is a complex decision that should involve careful research and analysis. While some investors may see a declining share price as an opportunity to buy low and potentially make a profit in the future, others may see it as a warning sign of potential future losses. It is important to carefully consider your own financial goals and risk tolerance before making any investment decisions.

3. Will AMD's share price bounce back?

It is impossible to predict the future performance of a company's stock with certainty. Factors such as market conditions, company performance, and industry trends can all influence the direction of a stock's price. While it is possible for AMD's share price to bounce back in the future, there are no guarantees. Investors should carefully consider all available information before making any decisions related to buying or selling stocks.

4. How does AMD's share price compare to its competitors?

Comparing a company's stock price to that of its competitors can provide valuable insight into the overall performance of the industry and market trends. While AMD's share price may currently be falling, it is important to also consider the performance of other technology companies and how they may be impacted by similar factors. This can help investors make more informed decisions about their investments.

5. What other factors should I consider when evaluating AMD's share price?

In addition to market conditions and company performance, there are other factors that can influence a company's share price. These can include changes in leadership, new product releases, and overall economic trends. It is important to conduct thorough research and consult with financial experts before making any investment decisions based on a company's share price.