1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

American Engineer < H1B visa engineer. According most corporations

1. Oct 4, 2014 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2
    I believe it. At my job we turn down BS engineering holders for technician positions regularly. Electrical engineering lost 10% of existing positions last year.

Still, I think engineering is one of the more marketable college degrees. Be sure to get to the top half of your class, do an internship or two and consider graduate school for more marketability.

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3
    Hmm, what do you think about Computer science specifically? Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate other perspectives on this matter.

5. Oct 5, 2014 #4
    In silicon valley, the reason there's a shortage of engineers was due to two reason; for undergraduate degrees, the salaries they offered, didn't cover the living expectations of traditional middle-class engineers, so they brought in foreign workers who would be willing to live in edgier neighborhoods.

But on the other side, there is a shortage of PhD's who have experience of leading projects, and working with various combinations of technology; parallel processing and computer vision.

6. Oct 5, 2014 #5
    http://www.hsh.com/finance/mortgage/salary-home-buying-25-cities.html

If they were serious about the shortage they would consider moving their headquarters to southern california at least ( a 50-60k drop in salary required to buy a home).

Cities30-Year Fixed Mortgage Rate% Change from 1Q14Median Home Price% Change from 1Q14Monthly Payment (PITI)Salary Needed

Washington4.30%-0.15%$403,600+12.45$1,983.31$84,999.14
    Los Angeles4.33%-0.19%$420,300+3.47$2,025.34$86,800.40
    New York City4.38%-0.15%$396,700+4.04$2,098.59$89,939.45
    San Diego4.35%-0.21%$504,200+4.39$2,335.47$100,091.74
    San Francisco4.26%-0.13%$769,600+13.21$3,511.94$150,511.88

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6

analogdesign

Science Advisor

It's true. The Engineering shortage is a myth that has been pumped to bring in cheap labor. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that there aren't still good jobs out there that are very rewarding. There really ARE shortages of very specific jobs, but you can't go chasing that because if you study what is currently in shortage, it will probably be a glut by the time you get out.

As a single data point, I have a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, I work in Northern California, and I can't afford a house (I live in an apartment).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  8. Oct 19, 2014 #7
    I tried doing that in the UK - studied for a PhD in Computer Graphics/Image processing because it seemed a good way of achieve a life ambition and find a job in industry. After publishing three papers and getting to the point where companies were inviting me to do talks, TPTB realized what I was doing, and I was told to hand my work over to someone else, and then my PhD was dragged out for another four years. During that time, every university and college brought in their game and animation courses. Being out of industry for five years, means that I now have to go abroad to find employment.

9. Oct 19, 2014 #8
    The problem is that the architects and principal engineers who have bought homes in the mountains and West side of the peninsula don't want to move. That leaves everyone else fighting and scrambling to find accommodation the Bay Area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook