Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ammonia and polycarbonate reaction

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    I accidentally stored some 2M NH3 in polycarbonate bottles , and now they're toast. It produced some white crystals and a brown suspension. I've done a little Googling and haven't found what the possible products are. Do you know what they could be? I am mostly concerned about disposal, and of course, any time I see crystals precipitate from ammonia solutions I'm a little worried.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Polycarbonates have carbonyl groups , ammonia may have nucleophilically attached itself and thus cut the polymer chain and produce some type of a red amine conjugated compound. The white precipitate may be ammonium carbonate

The following is an MSDS for Ammonium Carbonate

I would dispose of it in a HMIS labeled container and have it picked up by chemical waste services although this can be expensive. Are you asking this question as applied to an industrial setting?
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    not industry..just a couple bottles from the lab.

thanks for the information. I'm going to try calling the chemical supply company too
  5. Apr 25, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On a practical point, just call your safety officer, or whoever is in charge of chemical waste disposal, and explain the situation to them and that you need assistance in determining how to dispose of the resultant product. Most of the time, these people are so bored with their jobs that they just live for challenges like this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?