Amount of solar energy per day in a given location

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation to calculate the amount of solar energy received at a given location on Earth's surface during a specific day. The person asking the question is looking for a reference and the other person mentions that the US government keeps records and models for this information. They also provide a link to a website with equations for calculating solar insolation.
ondrejjosef
Hi,
I'm trying to find equation for an amount of solar energy that given place (of some latitude) on Earth's surface receives during a given day. I know it can be derived by using basic geometry, but I just need it for some application and don't want to waste time and risk mistakes. So if you know, where I could find this, I would greatly appreciate a reference. Thanks in advance for any help.

Josef Ondrej

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That is impossible to calculate.
The amount of solar energy reaching the Earth depends on many factors. Think about clouds.

My mistake, sorry for not specifying the question more accurately. You can assume that solar output is perfectly homogenous, constant, Earth is a perfect spehere with no atmosphere. Basically I'm just interested in the effect of varying angle from which you can see the Sun from that place.

The US government keeps records/models of this: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1991-2005/tmy3/

If instead of tables you prefer equations, this should help

http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/properties-of-sunlight/calculation-of-solar-insolation

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the amount of solar energy per day in a given location calculated?

The amount of solar energy per day in a given location is calculated by taking into account several factors such as the tilt of the Earth's axis, the angle of the sun's rays, the length of daylight hours, and the presence of clouds or other obstructions. This information is then used to determine the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface at a specific location.

2. What is the average amount of solar energy per day in a given location?

The average amount of solar energy per day in a given location can vary depending on the time of year, weather patterns, and geographical location. However, on average, the Earth receives about 1,366 watts of solar energy per square meter at the top of the atmosphere. This energy decreases as it travels through the Earth's atmosphere and reaches the surface, resulting in an average of about 250 watts per square meter of solar energy per day.

3. How does the amount of solar energy per day in a given location affect solar panel efficiency?

The amount of solar energy per day in a given location can have a significant impact on solar panel efficiency. The more solar energy that reaches the panels, the more electricity they can produce. Factors such as shading, temperature, and panel orientation also play a role in solar panel efficiency, but the amount of solar energy per day is a crucial factor in determining overall efficiency.

4. How do different locations around the world compare in terms of the amount of solar energy per day?

The amount of solar energy per day can vary greatly depending on the geographical location. Generally, areas near the equator receive more solar energy per day than areas near the poles. Additionally, factors such as climate and weather patterns can also affect the amount of solar energy that reaches a specific location. It's essential to consider these variables when determining the potential for solar energy production in a given area.

5. Can the amount of solar energy per day in a given location change over time?

Yes, the amount of solar energy per day in a given location can change over time. This can be due to changes in weather patterns, atmospheric conditions, or even human activities such as deforestation and urbanization. These changes can impact the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface and ultimately affect the amount of solar energy available for use in a given location.