Amount of watts needed to heat water

  • Thread starter Thread starter wakejosh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Water Watts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 16K views
wakejosh
Messages
101
Reaction score
0
I have a problem where I have a cup of water and I have to find out how much power I need to generate to heat it by a certian amount. I can't seem to find the equation I need in my book, can someone help me out? thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ok., now I am just trying to figure out how many watts = a calorie. is it 0.239 calories = 1 watt?
 
Keep in mind that a calorie is a unit of energy, and a watt is a unit of power. Do you know how to convert from power to energy? (hint -- keep track of your units so you don't mix seconds and hours, etc.)
 
wakejosh said:
i don't know, how do i convert watts to calories?

It says how right at the top of the wikipedia page that I posted a link to. Use the small calorie (gram) definition.