Ampere's law to find free current in a wire

In summary, the post says that you can find the enclosed current with the help of the azimuthal symmetry of H and the fact that it is in the ##\hat\phi## direction.
Benlaww
Homework Statement
An long straight wire (can be assumed infinite) with a circular cross-section of radius R is lying along the z axis and it has
an internal H~ field given by:

H = (j_0/r) ((1/a^2)sin(ar)-(r/a)cos(ar)) φˆ

where r is the radial distance from the centre of the circular conductor, φˆ is the azimuthal unit
vector, J0 is a constant current density, and a=π/(2R).

Find an expression for the total free current
in the conductor, and give its direction.
Relevant Equations
Ampere's law
∫ H.dl = ∫ j_f .dS = I_f
∇ x H = j_f
I'm not sure how to actually solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the integral. What is ##d\vec S##?
Your equation
H = j_0/r ((1/a^2)sin(ar)-(r/a)cos(ar)) φˆ is dimensionally incorrect. Parameter a apparently has dimensions of inverse length. You can't have (1/a^2)sin(ar)-(r/a)cos(ar). Please fix it.

Last edited:
I know that I have to do the integral but it's actually doing the integral which I'm struggling with. This is the equation that I was given.

Attachments

• H.JPG
    H.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 102
You can see that the equation is dimensionally incorrect. You have to ask the person who expects you to solve the problem about it, but let's set it aside for the time being. If you know you have to do the integral, you need to assemble its components. First and foremost is ##d\vec S##. How would you write that as a vector? In other words, what is its direction and what is its magnitude?

Last edited:
So dS is the small surface vector which is the area on the end of the wire (πR^2) pointing normally outward in the z direction?

You got the direction right but not the magnitude. See here how to write the magnitude.

so dS = r dr dθ Z
as there's no terms in θ, after canceling terms becomes:

(j_0/a^2) ∫ sin(ar) dr - (j_0/a) ∫ rcos(ar) dr

I think you are doing the hard way by calculating a surface integral. In the OP you write something that inspires for a clever shortcut, $$\oint \mathbf{H}\cdot d\mathbf{l}=I_{\text{free_enclosed}}$$

This integral will be much easier to find since the given H has azimuthal symmetry and is in the ##\hat\phi## direction, so just choose as loop of integration any circle of radius r.

Likes kuruman and Steve4Physics
So would it be
∫ H . 2πr dr with bounds 0 and R?

Benlaww said:
So would it be
∫ H . 2πr dr with bounds 0 and R?
Nope, dl of post #8 and your dr are not the same, the integral of H around a circle of radius r, will essentially be $$H\cdot 2\pi r$$ that is just a multiplication because H has azimuthal symmetry and is in the ##\hat\phi## direction.

So H.2πr = I _ free enclosed? Does r stay as r or does it go to R?

Benlaww said:
So H.2πr = I _ free enclosed? Does r stay as r or does it go to R?
After you multiply you can put r=R to find the total enclosed current.

Thank you so much! This is a great help!

Likes Delta2

1. What is Ampere's law?

Ampere's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the magnetic field generated by an electric current and the current itself. It states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop.

2. How is Ampere's law used to find free current in a wire?

Ampere's law can be used to find the free current in a wire by using the equation ∮B⃗ · dl⃗ = μ0I, where ∮B⃗ · dl⃗ represents the integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and I is the current passing through the loop. By rearranging the equation, the free current can be calculated as I = ∮B⃗ · dl⃗ / μ0.

3. What is the difference between free current and total current?

Free current refers to the current that is not bound or constrained by any other elements in a circuit, while total current refers to the overall current flowing through a circuit. Free current is typically associated with the magnetic field generated by the current, while total current is associated with the flow of charge through a circuit.

4. Can Ampere's law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Ampere's law can be applied to all types of circuits, as long as the current is steady and the circuit is closed. It is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and is used in many applications, such as calculating the magnetic field of a solenoid or a current-carrying wire.

5. Are there any limitations to using Ampere's law to find free current?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Ampere's law to find free current. It only applies to steady currents, so it cannot be used for time-varying currents. Additionally, the law assumes that the magnetic field is constant along the closed loop, which may not be the case in more complex circuits. In these situations, other methods, such as the Biot-Savart law, may be more appropriate.