Amplitude's time dependence in Heisenberg representation

In summary, the vector A is time-independent and only depends on the reference point t_0. This is possible because the eigenvectors of an operator in the Heisenberg picture are related to the eigenvectors in the Schrodinger picture by a unitary transformation. This results in a time-independent scalar product between the eigenvectors, allowing for the dependence of A on t_0.
LayMuon
[tex]

A = \langle q_f(t) \mid q_i(t) \rangle = \langle q_{f,H} \mid e^{iH(t_0-t)} e^{-iH(t-t_0)} \mid q_{i,H} \rangle = \langle q_{f,H} \mid q_{i,H} \rangle

[/tex]

This means that A is time-independent, and depends only on the reference point ##t_0##. How is it possibly? From Schoedinger picture it does depend on time! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be careful about the meaning of your vectors. From what you write, I conclude that [itex]|q(t) \rangle[/itex] are the (generalized) eigenvectors of some operator representing an observable in the Heisenberg picture. Then, from the Heisenberg equation of motion
[tex]\mathrm{d}_t \hat{O}=\frac{1}{\mathrm{i}}[\hat{O},\hat{H}].[/tex]
Assuming we have time independent Hamiltonian and that implies
[tex]\hat{O}(t)=\exp(\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}) \hat{O}(0) \exp(-\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}).[/tex] For sake of simplicity, I've set [itex]t_0=0[/itex].

Now by definition [itex]|q(t) \rangle[/itex] is the eigenvector of [itex]\hat{O}(t)[/itex] with the fixed eigenvalue [itex]q[/itex]:
[tex]\forall t: \quad \hat{O}(t) |q(t) \rangle=q |q(t) \rangle.[/tex]
This implies that
[tex]|q(t) \rangle=\exp(\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}) |q(0) \rangle.[/tex]
So up to a sign this implies your formula.

Of course, because the time evolution is unitary, the scalar product is time independent
[tex]\langle q(t)|q'(t) \rangle=\langle q(0) | q'(0) \rangle=\delta(q,q'),[/tex]
where the [itex]\delta[/itex] stands for a Kronecker [itex]\delta[/itex] (discrete eigenvalues) or a Dirac [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution (continuous eigenvalues).

1. What is Heisenberg representation?

Heisenberg representation is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of physical systems. It is an alternative to the more commonly known Schrödinger representation.

2. How does Heisenberg representation differ from Schrödinger representation?

In the Schrödinger representation, the states of a physical system are time-dependent, while the operators (observables) are time-independent. In Heisenberg representation, it is the opposite - the states are time-independent, while the operators are time-dependent.

3. What is the significance of Amplitude's time dependence in Heisenberg representation?

Amplitude's time dependence in Heisenberg representation refers to the time-dependent coefficients of the state vector in the Heisenberg picture. These amplitudes represent the probability amplitudes of different outcomes of a measurement and play a crucial role in predicting the behavior of a quantum system over time.

4. How is Amplitude's time dependence calculated in Heisenberg representation?

The time dependence of amplitudes in Heisenberg representation can be calculated using the Heisenberg equation of motion, which describes how the operators evolve in time. The amplitudes are then obtained by taking the inner product of the state vector and the operator in question.

5. What are the practical applications of Amplitude's time dependence in Heisenberg representation?

The time dependence of amplitudes in Heisenberg representation is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems. It is used in various applications, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum field theory, to name a few.