Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amplitude's time dependence in Heisenberg representation

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    [tex]

A = \langle q_f(t) \mid q_i(t) \rangle = \langle q_{f,H} \mid e^{iH(t_0-t)} e^{-iH(t-t_0)} \mid q_{i,H} \rangle = \langle q_{f,H} \mid q_{i,H} \rangle

[/tex]

This means that A is time-independent, and depends only on the reference point ##t_0##. How is it possibly? From Schoedinger picture it does depend on time! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You have to be careful about the meaning of your vectors. From what you write, I conclude that [itex]|q(t) \rangle[/itex] are the (generalized) eigenvectors of some operator representing an observable in the Heisenberg picture. Then, from the Heisenberg equation of motion
    [tex]\mathrm{d}_t \hat{O}=\frac{1}{\mathrm{i}}[\hat{O},\hat{H}].[/tex]
    Assuming we have time independent Hamiltonian and that implies
    [tex]\hat{O}(t)=\exp(\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}) \hat{O}(0) \exp(-\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}).[/tex] For sake of simplicity, I've set [itex]t_0=0[/itex].

Now by definition [itex]|q(t) \rangle[/itex] is the eigenvector of [itex]\hat{O}(t)[/itex] with the fixed eigenvalue [itex]q[/itex]:
    [tex]\forall t: \quad \hat{O}(t) |q(t) \rangle=q |q(t) \rangle.[/tex]
    This implies that
    [tex]|q(t) \rangle=\exp(\mathrm{i} t \hat{H}) |q(0) \rangle.[/tex]
    So up to a sign this implies your formula.

Of course, because the time evolution is unitary, the scalar product is time independent
    [tex]\langle q(t)|q'(t) \rangle=\langle q(0) | q'(0) \rangle=\delta(q,q'),[/tex]
    where the [itex]\delta[/itex] stands for a Kronecker [itex]\delta[/itex] (discrete eigenvalues) or a Dirac [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution (continuous eigenvalues).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook