Path integral computes time-ordered products

In summary: So we need to "do something" to make them commute and time-ordering is one way to do that. In summary, the path integral technique in quantum field theory allows us to compute time-ordered products by breaking up the operator into little bits at different times and inserting multiple resolutions of the identity, or by using time-ordering to make classical fields commute in the canonical form of the propagator.
spaghetti3451
In general,

##\displaystyle{\langle q_{f}|e^{-iHt/\hbar}|q_{i}\rangle=\int\mathcal{D}q(t)\ e^{iS[q]/\hbar}}##

and

##\displaystyle{\langle q_{f}|\hat{Q}(t)|q_{i}\rangle=\int\mathcal{D}q(t)\ e^{iS[q]/\hbar}}\ q(t).##How can one switch from the above expressions to the following?

##\displaystyle{\langle q_{f}|T\{\hat{Q}(t_{1})\hat{Q}(t_{2})\}|q_{i}\rangle=\int\mathcal{D}q(t)\ e^{iS[q]/\hbar}}\ q(t_{1})q(t_{2})##

In other words, why does the path integral compute time-ordered products?

Physics news on Phys.org
The technical details are given in any standard QFT textbook (see the relevant section on path integrals), so I won't reproduce them here (I'm also lazy to type that many equations haha). But intuitively, there are two quick ways to understand why this should be the case:

(1) If you examine how the path integral really is defined (my instructor in particular always emphasized that the compact notation that you always see is often misleading and usually useless for calculations - you have to go back to the original complete form), we actually broke up the operator into little bits at different times and inserted multiple resolutions of the identity (also at different times). This operation is in fact what is responsible for "moving" the fields to the respective time-ordered locations.

(2) In the path integral expression, the fields that appear there are classical fields and the ordering doesn't matter. This means that in the canonical form of the propagator, the order in which you write the field operators should not matter as well. One way to fix this is to well, have time-ordering. Of course this doesn't explain why time-ordering arises to begin with, but it tells us that
[tex]
\int\mathcal{D}q(t) e^{iS[q]/\hbar} q(t_{1})q(t_{2}) = \langle q_{f}|\hat{Q}(t_{1})\hat{Q}(t_{2})|q_{i}\rangle
[/tex] cannot be correct since ##\hat{Q}(t_{1})## and ##\hat{Q}(t_{2})## do not commute whereas ##q(t_{1})## and ##q(t_{2})## do.

Likes vanhees71

What is path integral computation?

Path integral computation is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle or system of particles transitioning from one state to another over a given period of time.

What is the significance of time-ordered products in path integral computation?

Time-ordered products are used in path integral computation to ensure that the calculations take into account the causal relationships between different states of a system. This is important in quantum mechanics as the order in which events occur can affect the outcome of a measurement.

How is the path integral used to compute time-ordered products?

The path integral method involves breaking down the transition from one state to another into small steps, calculating the probability of each step, and then combining these probabilities to get the overall probability of the transition. Time-ordered products are used to keep track of the order in which these steps occur.

What are the limitations of path integral computation?

One limitation of path integral computation is that it is only applicable to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom. It also does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions with other particles.

What are some applications of path integral computation?

Path integral computation has a wide range of applications in quantum mechanics, including calculating the transition probabilities of particles in a potential, analyzing the behavior of quantum systems, and predicting the outcomes of experiments. It is also used in other fields such as statistical mechanics and field theory.