Where did this term in the path integral come from?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of the propagator, ##K_{q_{j+1},q_j}##, using small time intervals, ##\delta t##. The third term in the expansion, ##-\frac 1 2 H²\delta t²##, is negligible and represented as ##o(\delta t²)##. The question is why this term is not included inside the brackets like the other terms.
PORFIRIO I
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to derive the path integral, but got stuck on this part.
I'm trying to derive the path integrals, but this step got me confused:

Consider the propagator

$$K_{q_{j+1},q_j}=\langle q_{j+1}|e^{-iH\delta t}|q_j\rangle $$

Knowing that ##\delta t## is small, we can expand it as

$$K_{q_{j+1},q_j}=\langle q_{j+1}|(1-iH\delta t-\frac 1 2 H² \delta t²+...)|q_j\rangle = \langle q_{j+1}|q_j\rangle -i\delta t\langle q_{j+1}|H|q_j\rangle +o(\delta t²)$$

I don't understand why the third term in the expansion ##-\frac 1 2 H²\delta t²## became this ##o(\delta t²)## and why it isn't inside the brackets like the other terms. what am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That means a term of the order of ##(\delta t)^2##, which for small ##\delta t## is taken to be negligible.

Likes vanhees71 and PORFIRIO I

1. What is the path integral in physics?

The path integral is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to calculate the probability of a particle or system of particles taking a particular path between two points in space and time. It is based on the principle of quantum mechanics that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and that their behavior is described by a wave function.

2. Where did the concept of the path integral come from?

The concept of the path integral was first introduced by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s. He developed it as a way to understand the behavior of quantum particles and to simplify calculations in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the path integral related to the Schrödinger equation?

The path integral is closely related to the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The path integral provides a way to solve the Schrödinger equation by integrating over all possible paths of the system.

4. Is the path integral used in other fields besides physics?

Yes, the path integral has also been applied in other fields such as mathematics, chemistry, and economics. In mathematics, it is used to study random processes and in economics, it is used to model financial markets. It has also been used in chemistry to calculate the rate of chemical reactions.

5. How is the path integral calculated?

The path integral is calculated by breaking down the path into small segments and calculating the contribution of each segment to the overall path. These contributions are then summed up to get the total probability of the particle or system taking that particular path. This process is known as discretization and is essential in making the path integral a powerful tool for solving complex problems in physics.