An algebraic property of complex numbers

In summary, the conversation is about the equation |z^{-1/2}|^2 = |z^{-1}| = |z|^{-1} = 1/|z| and the difficulty in proving it. The possibility of writing z in polar form is mentioned as a potential solution, but it is noted that this may not always work due to the ambiguity of square roots in complex numbers. The conversation also brings up the importance of specifying that z is in ℂ\{0} to avoid losing points on an exam. A link to a separate thread discussing square roots is also provided.
AxiomOfChoice
I'm guessing that if [itex]z\in \mathbb C[/itex], then we have

[tex]
\left| z^{-1/2} \right|^2 = |z^{-1}| = |z|^{-1} = \frac{1}{|z|}.
[/tex]

Proving this seems to be a real headache though. Is there a quick/easy way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
write z in polar form?

Don't mean to nitpick, but remember that it is for z in ℂ\{0} to start with; some profs.

may take away points in an exam if you don't specify this.

But also, remember your square root is not defined everywhere, at least not as a function,

but as a multifunction, since every complex number has two square roots. I mean, the

expression z1/2 is ambiguous until you choose a branch.

Sorry if you already are taking this into account; I am in nitpicking mode, but I

shouldn't take it out on you :) .

Yes, there is a quick and easy way to prove this property. We can use the fact that the absolute value of a complex number z is equal to the square root of the product of z and its complex conjugate, denoted as z*.

So, let's start by writing z in polar form as z = re^(iθ). Then, z* = re^(-iθ). Using this, we can rewrite the expression as:

|z^{-1/2}|^2 = \left| \frac{1}{\sqrt{r} e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}}} \right|^2

= \frac{1}{r} \left| e^{-i\frac{\theta}{2}} \right|^2

= \frac{1}{r} e^{-i\frac{\theta}{2}} e^{i\frac{\theta}{2}}

= \frac{1}{r}

= |z|^{-1}

Therefore, we have shown that |z^{-1/2}|^2 = |z|^{-1}, which also implies that |z^{-1}| = |z|^{-1}. This is a useful property that can be used in various applications involving complex numbers.

1. What is the algebraic property of complex numbers?

The algebraic property of complex numbers is that they can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided using standard algebraic operations. This means that complex numbers can be manipulated and simplified in the same way as real numbers.

2. How are complex numbers represented algebraically?

Complex numbers are typically represented in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). This is known as the standard form of a complex number.

3. What is the significance of the imaginary unit in complex numbers?

The imaginary unit, i, is a fundamental part of complex numbers and allows for the representation of numbers that are not on the real number line. It is crucial in performing algebraic operations with complex numbers and has many applications in mathematics and physics.

4. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real and imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (1 - 4i) = (3+1) + (2i-4i) = 4 - 2i. You can also think of this as adding or subtracting vectors, where the real part is the horizontal component and the imaginary part is the vertical component.

5. Can you multiply and divide complex numbers?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided using the same rules as real numbers. To multiply complex numbers, you can use the FOIL method, and to divide complex numbers, you can rationalize the denominator by multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator. For example, (3+2i) * (1-4i) = 3 + 2i - 12i - 8i^2 = 11 - 10i. (3+2i) / (1-4i) = (3+2i) * (1+4i) / (1+4i)(1-4i) = (3+2i)(1+4i) / (1-16i^2) = (11+10i) / 17.