Proving Modulus Inequality for Complex Numbers

In summary, the goal is to show that $\displaystyle \frac{\Re(z_1 + z_2)}{|z_3 + z_4|} \le \frac{|z_1| + |z_2|}{||z_3| - |z_4||}$ and this can be achieved by using the triangle and reverse triangle inequalities.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Dear Everyone,

I am currently in an Introduction to Complex Analysis; I have a question:

Use established properties of moduli to show that when $\left|{z_3}\right|\ne\left|{z_4}\right|$:
$\frac{\Re{({z}_{1}+{z}_{2})}}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}\le\frac{\left| {z}_{1} \right|+\left| {z}_{2} \right|}{\left| \left| {z}_{3} \right|-\left| {z}_{4} \right| \right|}$

My work:
Let ${z}_{1},{z}_{2}\in\Bbb{C}$ and ${z}_{3}, {z}_{4}$ be non-zero complex numbers.

I am stuck.

Thanks
CBarker1

Physics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
Dear Everyone,

I am currently in an Introduction to Complex Analysis; I have a question:

Use established properties of moduli to show that when $\left|{z_3}\right|\ne\left|{z_4}\right|$:
$\frac{\Re{({z}_{1}+{z}_{2})}}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}\le\frac{\left| {z}_{1} \right|+\left| {z}_{2} \right|}{\left| \left| {z}_{3} \right|-\left| {z}_{4} \right| \right|}$

My work:
Let ${z}_{1},{z}_{2}\in\Bbb{C}$ and ${z}_{3}, {z}_{4}$ be non-zero complex numbers.

I am stuck.

Thanks
CBarker1

Hi Cbarker1,

Have you considered the triangle inequalities?
With complex numbers they are:
$$\begin{array}{} |z_1| + |z_2| \ge |z_1+z_2| & \text{Sum of 2 sides of a triangle}\ge\text{3rd side}\\
\Big||z_1|-|z_2|\Big| \le |z_1+z_2| & \text{Difference of 2 sides of a triangle}\le\text{3rd side}\\
\operatorname{Re} z \le |z| & \text{Rectangular side in a right triangle}\le \text{hypotenuse}
\end{array}$$

How far can you get with them?

I like Serena said:
Hi Cbarker1,

Have you considered the triangle inequalities?
With complex numbers they are:
$$\begin{array}{} |z_1| + |z_2| \ge |z_1+z_2| & \text{Sum of 2 sides of a triangle}\ge\text{3rd side}\\
\Big||z_1|-|z_2|\Big| \le |z_1+z_2| & \text{Difference of 2 sides of a triangle}\le\text{3rd side}\\
\operatorname{Re} z \le |z| & \text{Rectangular side in a right triangle}\le \text{hypotenuse}
\end{array}$$

How far can you get with them?

I believe the solution is this:
$\frac{\Re{({z}_{1}+{z}_{2}})}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}\le\frac{\left| {z}_{1}\right|+\left|{z}_{2} \right|}{\left|\left| {z}_{3} \right|-\left| {z}_{4} \right|\right|}$. By the triangle inequality and reverse triangle inequality, the inequality yields
$\le\frac{\left| {z}_{1}+{z}_{2} \right|}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}$
By the $\operatorname{Re}{z}\le\left| z \right|$, then the inequality yields
$\le\frac{\operatorname{Re}{({z}_{1}+{z}_{2}})}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}$ QED

Cbarker1 said:
I believe the solution is this:
$\frac{\Re{({z}_{1}+{z}_{2}})}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}\le\frac{\left| {z}_{1}\right|+\left|{z}_{2} \right|}{\left|\left| {z}_{3} \right|-\left| {z}_{4} \right|\right|}$. By the triangle inequality and reverse triangle inequality, the inequality yields
$\le\frac{\left| {z}_{1}+{z}_{2} \right|}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}$
By the $\operatorname{Re}{z}\le\left| z \right|$, then the inequality yields
$\le\frac{\operatorname{Re}{({z}_{1}+{z}_{2}})}{\left|{z}_{3}+{z}_{4}\right|}$ QED

You seem to be going backwards, rather than forwards, in your argument. The goal is to show $\displaystyle \frac{\Re(z_1 + z_2)}{|z_3 + z_4|} \le \frac{|z_1| + |z_2|}{||z_3| - |z_4||}$. Since $\Re z \le |z|$ for all complex numbers $z$, $\displaystyle \frac{\Re(z_1 + z_2)}{|z_3 + z_4|} \le \frac{|z_1 + z_2|}{|z_3 + z_4|}$. The triangle and reverse triangle inequalities yields $|z_1 + z_2| \le |z_1| + |z_2|$ and $|z_3 + z_4| \ge ||z_3| - |z_4||$; hence $\displaystyle \frac{|z_1 + z_2|}{|z_3 + z_4|} \le \frac{|z_1| + |z_2|}{||z_3| - |z_4||}$, as desired.

1. What is a modulus inequality problem?

A modulus inequality problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves inequalities (greater than or less than) and absolute values (represented by the modulus symbol, "|" ). The goal is usually to find the range of values that satisfy the inequality.

2. How do you solve a modulus inequality problem?

To solve a modulus inequality problem, you must first isolate the absolute value expression. Then, you can split the inequality into two cases: one where the expression inside the absolute value is positive, and one where it is negative. Solve each case separately and combine the solutions to get the final answer.

3. Can a modulus inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, a modulus inequality can have more than one solution. This is because the absolute value function can produce both positive and negative values, so there may be multiple values that satisfy the inequality.

4. What are some real-life applications of modulus inequality problems?

Modulus inequality problems are commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the range of values for certain variables in equations. They can also be used in economics to analyze supply and demand relationships or in statistics to calculate confidence intervals.

5. Are there any tips for solving modulus inequality problems?

One helpful tip for solving modulus inequality problems is to always check your solutions in the original inequality to ensure they are valid. Also, don't forget to consider both positive and negative cases when solving the problem. Practice and familiarity with algebraic manipulation can also make solving these problems easier.