An Amateur Question why Engineering?

In summary, a PhD does not mean that someone knows everything in a field, just that they were capable of getting to the forefront of knowledge in the field, and were able to extend human knowledge in that field to some degree. A person with a PhD in physics and math may not have the domain knowledge or practical experience to do an engineer's job, as engineering requires a different set of skills and knowledge. A PhD in a certain field does not automatically qualify someone to do a job in a different field, as they may not have the necessary skills and experience. Additionally, honorary doctorates and post-doctorate degrees are different from a traditional PhD and may require a high standard thesis. Ultimately, being an engineer or any other profession is defined by
flyingpig
I know that this might cause a lot of flaming, but I really want to know.

Engineering is a branch of application in Science.

So my question is, if a person has a Ph.D in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Biology, would he or she be able to do a job normally needed for a Engineer that requires a Ph.D?

Or can someone with a Ph.D in Physics and Mathematics would be able to do an Engineer's job?

If not, why? If being a wielder of a Ph.D, doesn't that mean he or she should know everything in that field? And since Engineering is part of that, should he or she be able to do that job without the need for the degree?

Physics news on Phys.org
A PhD does not mean that someone knows everything in a field, just that they were capable of getting to the forefront of knowledge in the field, and were able to extend human knowledge in that field to some degree.

A PhD in physics does not know all of physics, but might be expected to be able to learn pretty much anything in physics pretty rapidly. However, someone with a degree in Civil Engineering is expected to know how to do pretty much everything in Civil Engineering.

In other words, a civil engineer would be expected to know how to build a bridge. While bridge building might fall under the realm of physics, a PhD in physics who primarily studied Optics might not be a good bet for a bridge builder.

flyingpig said:
Or can someone with a Ph.D in Physics and Mathematics would be able to do an Engineer's job?
No, because they do not have the domain knowledge. Physics and math phds (even experimental and applied ones) are still much more theoretical than the average engineers job. There are lots of old jokes about the differences between engineers, physicists, and math people, but a lot of those jokes are routed in how the different disciplines approach to any problem. Plus taking some circuits in a physics course does not mean you'll do well with complex circuits with devices more complicated than resisters and inductors (which is what the rest of the EE circuits route is about, and even then people specialize into digital or analog.)

If being a wielder of a Ph.D, doesn't that mean he or she should know everything in that field?
Why does everyone have that misconception? A Ph.D means you've got enough domain knowledge to pass your quals (so you've got a competent enough understanding of your field to do your research properly) and a ton of knowledge about whatever your dissertation topic is. That's all.

story645 said:
No, because they do not have the domain knowledge. Physics and math phds (even experimental and applied ones) are still much more theoretical than the average engineers job. There are lots of old jokes about the differences between engineers, physicists, and math people, but a lot of those jokes are routed in how the different disciplines approach to any problem. Plus taking some circuits in a physics course does not mean you'll do well with complex circuits with devices more complicated than resisters and inductors (which is what the rest of the EE circuits route is about, and even then people specialize into digital or analog.)

Why does everyone have that misconception? A Ph.D means you've got enough domain knowledge to pass your quals (so you've got a competent enough understanding of your field to do your research properly) and a ton of knowledge about whatever your dissertation topic is. That's all.

I hear that in the UK, there is something called the "Higher Doctorate" and is suppose to be bigger than a Ph.D, what about that? I know I am being a bit a impolite, but I am just confused, that is all

flyingpig said:
I hear that in the UK, there is something called the "Higher Doctorate" and is suppose to be bigger than a Ph.D, what about that?
It seems like you're talking about when a university awards an honorary doctorate to someone who didn't necessarily study at the university giving him/her the honor. It's like if you get your Ph.D at school a but you happen to be very well known so schools b, c, and d would like to give you recognition by giving you an honorary doctorate.
Example: Dr. Flyingpig received his Ph.D from school a. He also has an honorary doctorate from school b, c, and d.

Leptos said:
It seems like you're talking about when a university awards an honorary doctorate to someone who didn't necessarily study at the university giving him/her the honor. It's like if you get your Ph.D at school a but you happen to be very well known so schools b, c, and d would like to give you recognition by giving you an honorary doctorate.
Example: Dr. Flyingpig received his Ph.D from school a. He also has an honorary doctorate from school b, c, and d.

Many countries have a post-doctorate degree which is what he is talking about; it's essentially another step after the Ph.D and requires a very high standard thesis which is published with a lot of positive recognition.

flyingpig said:
So my question is, if a person has a Ph.D in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Biology, would he or she be able to do a job normally needed for a Engineer that requires a Ph.D?

If not, why? If being a wielder of a Ph.D, doesn't that mean he or she should know everything in that field? And since Engineering is part of that, should he or she be able to do that job without the need for the degree?

I think the issue of being an engineer is similar to being a writer or an artist. If you do it, then you are it. Perhaps the same could be said of physics and other sciences too, but maybe less so. I think of Einstein publishing great works as a patent clerk, but maybe that's not a fair example.

A key thing about engineering is experience in the field of expertise. Whatever the background of a person, an inexperienced person should not be designing devices that can put people in danger. Nor should they be designing products that will be mass produced, since a mass recall due to failures could put a company out of business.

My father worked as an engineer with a history degree with minor in physics. I think you see this kind of thing less today, but there are no hard and fast rules. Inborn ability is a key ingredient to making a good engineer, and there are many degreed engineers that I wouldn't trust to design a toaster, never mind help put a man on the moon.

As far as a PhD, I think it represents a demonstration of intelligence, determination, ability to focus, training in research techniques, ability to learn, ability to self-teach, passion and detailed knowledge in a specialized field. However, a person can have and/or develop all of these very good things without a Ph.D.

A PhD in math and physics could do an engineers job...

After they did a engineering degree.

But it would really depend on the job. A PhD in math or physics would not be adequate to do any type of detailed mechanical or structural design from scratch. It would be sufficient for design testing or analysis perhaps.

1. Why is engineering considered an amateur question?

Engineering is not considered an amateur question, as it is a highly specialized and technical field that requires extensive education, training, and experience. The term "amateur" often implies a lack of knowledge or skill, which is not the case in engineering.

2. What is the difference between amateur and professional engineering?

The main difference between amateur and professional engineering is the level of education, training, and experience. Professional engineers have completed accredited programs and are licensed to practice, while amateur engineers may not have the same level of education or experience. Additionally, professional engineers are held to ethical standards and are responsible for ensuring the safety and efficacy of their designs, while amateurs may not have the same level of accountability.

3. Can amateurs become professional engineers?

Yes, amateurs can become professional engineers by completing accredited engineering programs, gaining relevant experience, and passing licensing exams. However, the process can be challenging and requires a significant time and financial commitment.

4. Is it worth pursuing a career in engineering as an amateur?

It depends on the individual's goals and dedication to the field. While it is possible to become a professional engineer as an amateur, it may require a significant amount of time, effort, and resources. It is important to carefully consider the commitment and potential challenges before pursuing a career in engineering as an amateur.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing engineering as a profession?

There are many potential benefits of pursuing a career in engineering, including job stability, high earning potential, opportunities for growth and advancement, and the ability to make a positive impact on society through innovative designs and solutions. However, it is important to note that the field of engineering can be demanding and requires a strong aptitude for math and science.