An Analytical Paper for College Admissions

In summary, a student is applying to colleges and wants to write an analytical paper on the discrepancies between Quantum and Classical Worlds as part of the admissions process. They are seeking advice on how to structure and present the paper and want to make it stand out. They are considering using LaTeX to format the paper and are also asking for general advice on content and choosing a topic. The summary also includes a recommendation to choose a topic the student is knowledgeable and comfortable with, rather than solely focusing on the perceived prestige of the subject matter. The most important factor in the paper is demonstrating critical thinking and strong writing skills.
mea
Hello all. This fall I'm applying to several colleges, the top two of which are Bennington College and Wesleyan University. I'm fairly certain of acceptance to both but as a part of the admissions process I need to submit an analytical paper, passed in and graded by a teacher. Since I wish to study physics at both institutions, I felt it would be my benefit to write the paper on a physics-related subject, this case being the discrepancies between Quantum and Classical Worlds, gravity in particular.

The problem I'm having is in setting up the paper. I've never done a scientific paper before, not even a basic analysis work, and I am rather at a loss of how to go about presenting the ideas and breaking them down. I do not expect them to want to see brand-new theories or complex mathematical works, but I would like to really wow them with the paper and my analysis. How would I got about doing this best?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!

For any of you undergrads out there, any extra advice to help make my paper really stand out?

Write the paper in LaTeX using the revtex4 package.

If this makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever, then it probably isn't worth going to the effort of learning how to write LaTeX documents (it is, at some point, but maybe not just now). However, I do think the two-column layout in revtex4 is a sure way of producing a quality-looking scientific document (it's the way they publish actual papers submitted to the APS journals).

http://www.latex-project.org/

http://authors.aps.org/revtex4/

As for content, I'm not the best person to ask but i'd really look to be concise and not get carried away by the vast amount of research there is... perhaps look at the way NewScientist or ScientificAmerican present their own articles and tailor the recommended outlines given by the link to bellevuecollege to these articles (since, i'd have said, they're not strictly analytical, but definitely useful).

mea said:
as a part of the admissions process I need to submit an analytical paper, passed in and graded by a teacher. Since I wish to study physics at both institutions, I felt it would be my benefit to write the paper on a physics-related subject, this case being the discrepancies between Quantum and Classical Worlds, gravity in particular.

You should choose a subject that you know enough about and feel comfortable enough with to be able to write at length about it. If that happens to be a physics-related subject, great! But I don't think it's a good idea to choose a topic that you're shaky on just because you think the subject matter (in itself) will make a difference. With most undergraduate colleges, you're applying for general admission, not for admission to a specific major. Lots of students end up majoring in something other than what they put down on their admissions forms, and lots of students change their majors in mid-stream.

What they're almost certainly looking for is evidence that you can think a bit, and have reasonable writing skills in general, as evidence that the sterling grades on your high school transcript actually mean something.

1. What is an analytical paper for college admissions?

An analytical paper for college admissions is a written document that analyzes and evaluates an applicant's academic achievements, personal qualities, and potential for success in college. It is typically required as part of the college application process and serves as a way for admissions committees to gain insight into the applicant's strengths, weaknesses, and overall fit for the college.

2. What should be included in an analytical paper for college admissions?

An analytical paper for college admissions should include an overview of the applicant's academic record, extracurricular activities, personal statement or essay, letters of recommendation, and any additional information that the applicant wants to highlight. It should also provide a clear analysis of how these aspects make the applicant a strong candidate for the college.

3. How should I approach writing an analytical paper for college admissions?

To write an effective analytical paper for college admissions, it is important to carefully review the application requirements and guidelines provided by the college. You should also take the time to reflect on your academic and personal experiences, and consider how they have prepared you for college. Additionally, it can be helpful to seek feedback from mentors, teachers, or counselors as you develop your paper.

4. What are admissions committees looking for in an analytical paper for college admissions?

Admissions committees are looking for a well-written and thoughtful analysis of the applicant's strengths and accomplishments. They want to see evidence of critical thinking and self-reflection, as well as a clear understanding of how the applicant will contribute to the college community. It is also important to demonstrate a genuine passion for learning and personal growth.

5. How much weight does an analytical paper carry in the college admissions process?

The weight given to an analytical paper in the college admissions process can vary depending on the college and its specific requirements. However, it is generally considered an important component of the application and can greatly influence the admissions decision. It is important to put effort and thought into your analytical paper, as it can be a valuable opportunity to showcase your unique qualities and strengths to the admissions committee.