An application of the closed graph theorem.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a projection on a Banach space is bounded if and only if its kernel and range are closed subspaces. The speaker suggests using the closed graph theorem and is unsure how to proceed. Another person gives a possible approach, showing that if the kernel and range are closed, then the graph of the projection is also closed.
Hjensen
So I have to show that a projection P (i.e a linear operator with P=P²) on a Banach space X is bounded if and only if [tex]\ker (P)[/tex] and P(X) are closed subspaces of X.My idea was to boil it down, using the closed graph theorem. What's left for me now is to show that the graph [tex]G(P):=\{(x,y)\in X\times X: y=Px\}[/tex] is closed if [tex]\ker(P)[/tex] and [tex]P(X)[/tex] are closed. I don't quite know how this can be achieved though. Does anyone know how this could be done? Or am I simply taking the wrong approach by using the closed graph theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: I wrote a nonsense. Thinking ...

Last edited:
Assume ker(P) and P(X) closed. Let [tex](x_n,y_n)\rightarrow (x,y),\, y_n=Px_n[/tex]. Then [tex](y_n-x_n)\in \ker(P)[/tex] and so [tex]y=x+x',\, x'\in\ker (P)[/tex]. From [tex](I-P)y_n=0[/tex] it follows [tex](I-P)y=0[/tex], so [tex]y=Py=P(x+x')=Px.[/tex]

1. What is the closed graph theorem?

The closed graph theorem is a fundamental result in functional analysis that establishes a connection between the continuity of a linear operator and the topology of its domain and codomain.

2. How is the closed graph theorem applied in scientific research?

The closed graph theorem is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to prove the continuity and boundedness of linear operators, which are essential properties in many mathematical models and equations.

3. Can you provide an example of an application of the closed graph theorem?

One example of an application of the closed graph theorem is in the study of partial differential equations. The continuity of certain linear operators, such as the Laplace operator, is crucial in proving the existence and uniqueness of solutions to these equations.

4. What are the key assumptions of the closed graph theorem?

The closed graph theorem requires two main assumptions: the completeness of the domain and the closedness of the graph of the linear operator. These assumptions guarantee the existence of a continuous inverse of the operator, which is essential in proving its continuity.

5. Are there any generalizations of the closed graph theorem?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the closed graph theorem, such as the open mapping theorem and the Banach-Steinhaus theorem, which provide conditions for the boundedness and convergence of a sequence of linear operators.