An competitive question asked this time

• Thread starter varun atri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the problem presented is a "Chinese remainder theorem" problem involving finding a number x that satisfies the congruences x=1 (mod 2), x=2 (mod 3), and x=3 (mod 4). By solving the equations, it can be determined that the number of stairs is between 40 and 50. The correct answer is not listed, as it can be any number that satisfies the given congruences.
varun atri
a boy running up a stair case finds when he goes up two steps at a time there is one step over when he goes up three at a time there are two over and when he goes up four at a time, there are three over. find number of stairs which is b/w 40 & 50.

a.) 47 b.)45 c.)42 d.)49 e.) none
:rofl:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why is this "competative"? It is a pretty straightforward "Chinese remainder theorem" problem. It is the same as asking for x such that:
x= 1 (mod 2), x= 2 (mod 3), and x= 3 (mod 4).

If x= 3 mod 4, then x= 4i+ 3 for some positive integer i. Putting that into the second equation, x= 4i+ 3= 2 (mod 3) so that 4i= -1= 2 (mod 3). i= 2 (mod 3). Continue.

1. What is a competitive question?

A competitive question is a type of question that challenges or tests a person's knowledge, skills, or abilities in a competitive setting. It often involves comparing oneself to others and striving to outperform them.

2. How can competitive questions benefit scientific research?

Competitive questions can stimulate critical thinking and encourage researchers to push the boundaries of their field. They can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in the scientific community.

3. Are competitive questions only used in science?

No, competitive questions can be used in various fields and industries, such as sports, business, and education. They can be helpful in promoting innovation and driving progress in any competitive environment.

4. Can competitive questions be harmful?

In some cases, competitive questions can create a negative and unhealthy level of competition, leading to stress, anxiety, and unethical behavior. It is important to use them in a constructive and fair manner.

5. How can I prepare for competitive questions in a scientific setting?

To prepare for competitive questions, it is essential to have a strong understanding of your field of study and stay updated on the latest research and developments. You can also practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills to improve your ability to answer competitive questions effectively.