Inscribing a circle in an Oblique Square (Drafting)

• B
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This comes up in a drafting and illustration contexts. It's a mix of 2D and 3D geometry.

Since I was about twelve and first learning to draw mag wheels on racecars, I've been inscribing circles inside squares.

1698246756945.png

(Not mine. Stolen off Google)

I noticed right away that it is not as simple as it might seem.
To replicate this, we start with a square, viewed obliquely (1).

Naively inscribing an ellipse into it with its axes aligned to the square's diagonal will result in the incorrect orientation that looks terrible (2).

To seat the circle correctly in the square, the circle must tangentially touch the centre points of all four sides of the square (3). This new shape is also an ellipse, but its major/minor axes are at an angle to the construction lines of the square.

1698247254034.png

My question is: is there a logic to the relationship between the ellipse's actual axes and the square's construction lines?

(There's other aspects to this question, such as:
  • how does the relationship hold up when one and two-point perspective is added to the sketch?

• is this relationship related to the patterns on reflective disks?
1698247465573.png
1698247503946.png
but one thing at a time...)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For reference, this is how we were taught to do it in High School Mechanical Drafting. Four circular arcs.

It's still a hack, but a more serviceable one.

1698248887843.png

Not one taker, eh? :sorry:

I think the projection from [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] space to the 2D [itex](X,Y)[/itex] space of the paper is [tex]\begin{split}
X &= x + y \cos \theta \\
Y &= z + y \sin \theta\end{split}[/tex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the horizontal ([itex]X[/itex]) axis and the image of the [itex]y[/itex]-axis. Then the image of the circle [itex](y - \frac12)^2 + (z - \frac12)^2 = 1[/itex], [itex]x = 0[/itex] is [tex]
(X\sec\theta - \tfrac12)^2 + (Y - X\tan\theta - \tfrac12)^2 = 1[/tex] and setting [itex](X,Y) = (u + \tfrac12\cos\theta, v + \tfrac12 (1 + \sin\theta))[/itex] reduces this to [tex]
u^2\sec^2 \theta + (v - u\tan\theta)^2 = \frac12[/tex] or [tex]
\begin{pmatrix}u & v \end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} 2(\sec^2\theta + \tan^2\theta) & - 2\tan\theta \\ - 2\tan\theta & 2 \end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix} u \\ v \end{pmatrix} = 1.[/tex] If [itex]\lambda_1 \geq \lambda_2 > 0[/itex] are the eigenvalues of this matrix then [itex]1/\sqrt{\lambda_2}[/itex] and [itex]1/\sqrt{\lambda_1}[/itex] are respectively the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, and the corresponding eigenvectors (which are orthogonal, since the matrix is symmetric) show how the axes of the ellipse are rotated relative to the [itex](u,v)[/itex] axes (which are parallel to the [itex](X,Y)[/itex] axes).

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
Mark44 said:
OK, I'll bite.
I took a semester or maybe a year of mechanical drawing. As I recall, we used an ellipse template to create the illusion of a circle viewed at an angle.

Like this ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2254658097...a45816c709bf9e38c7770e5fca8ae9a0&toolid=20006
Yes. A template is certainly a way of making a true ellipse.

But note, it does not solve the problem of getting the angle right, which is the more primary focus of this thread.

In fact, arguably, it makes the problem potentially worse, because those templates invariably have the major/minor axes marked, and it's very tempting for a student to line the axes up to the diagonals of the square, as in figure 2. in the OP:

1698438317688.png

pasmith said:
They ... did not teach me about eigenvalues or matrices in high school... :sorry:

DaveC426913 said:
In fact, arguably, it makes the problem potentially worse, because those templates invariably have the major/minor axes marked, and it's very tempting for a student to line the axes up to the diagonals of the square, as in figure 2. in the OP:
The same student might be tempted to shove the pencil into his nose, as well, but that's not a valid argument against pencils or templates. As I recall, there are some templates with different shaped ellipses with some fatter and some thinner.

• Haha
Likes e_jane
Where the idea of “inscribing an ellipse into it with its axes aligned to the square's diagonal” comes from?

Mark44 said:
The same student might be tempted to shove the pencil into his nose, as well, but that's not a valid argument against pencils or templates.
Granted.

I can't say why we were instructed how to make them using only a compass. Perhaps it had to do with working manually before using tools (like learning your times tables before using a calculator); perhaps they just didn't expect high school students taking a half-credit course to splurge on their own equipment.
Lnewqban said:
Where the idea of “inscribing an ellipse into it with its axes aligned to the square's diagonal” comes from?
Perhaps I was surrounded by non-illustrators.

How do you inscribe a circle in an oblique square?

To inscribe a circle in an oblique square, first draw the square with its sides at an angle to the horizontal. Then, draw the diagonals of the square to find the center point. From the center point, draw a perpendicular line to one of the sides of the square. The length of this line will be the radius of the circle. Use a compass to draw the circle with the center at the intersection of the perpendicular line and the side of the square.

What tools are needed to inscribe a circle in an oblique square?

To inscribe a circle in an oblique square, you will need a ruler or straight edge to draw the square and its diagonals, a compass to draw the circle, and a protractor to measure the angle of the sides of the square.

What are the properties of a circle inscribed in an oblique square?

A circle inscribed in an oblique square will have its center at the intersection of the diagonals of the square. The circle will touch the sides of the square at exactly one point each, forming tangents with the sides of the square.

Can an oblique square have more than one circle inscribed within it?

No, an oblique square can only have one circle inscribed within it. The circle will be tangent to all four sides of the square at exactly one point each, and any additional circles would not meet this requirement.

What is the significance of inscribing a circle in an oblique square?

Inscribing a circle in an oblique square is a geometric exercise that demonstrates the relationship between circles and squares. It also showcases the concept of tangents and the properties of inscribed circles within polygons. This exercise can help improve drafting skills and geometric understanding.