Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An detail in proving the homotopy invariance of homology

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    I'm reading Allen Hatcher's topology book.In order to prove a theorem about homotopic maps induce the same homomorphism of homology groups,given a homotopy [tex]F:X \times I \to Y[/tex] from f to g,the author construct a prism operators
    [tex]P:C_n (X) \to C_{n + 1} (Y)[/tex] by [tex]P(\sigma ) = \sum\nolimits_i {( - 1)^i F \circ (\sigma \times 1)|[v_0 ,...,v_i ,w_i ,...,w_n ]} [/tex] for [tex]\sigma :\Delta ^n \to X[/tex],where [tex]{F \circ (\sigma \times 1)}[/tex] is the composition [tex]\Delta ^n \times I \to X \times I \to Y[/tex].

I don't understand how sigma*1 acts on the n+1 simplex,sigma acts on n simplex,what the 1 acts on?Why[tex]F \circ (\sigma \times 1)|[\mathop v\limits^ \wedge _0 ,w_0 ,...,w_n ][/tex] equals to [tex]g \circ \sigma = g_\# (\sigma )[/tex]

Need helps,thank you!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well the domain space is a product, so sigma acts on the first factor, and "1" which is apparently the identity map, acts on the second factor.

i.e. forming product spaces is a functor. two spaces X,Y get changed into the space XxY,

and two maps f:X-->Z, g:Y-->W get changed into the map (fxg):XxY-->ZxW,

where (fxg)(x,y) = (f(x),g(y)).

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3
    Yes,'1' is the identity on the I, but what does [tex](\sigma \times {\rm{1}})|[{\rm{v}}_0 ,...,{\rm{v}}_i ,{\rm{w}}_i ,...,{\rm{w}}_n ][/tex] means? [v0,...,v_i,w_i,...,w_n] is a n+1 simplex,what vertex of it the '1' act on?

Thank you!

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well from its position presumably it acts on the last one. see what works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook