1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An electron is launched between two plates

1. Dec 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is launched between two parallel, neutral, conducting plates that are each L long and separated by a distance d with a uniform magnetic field of magnitude B permeated between them.

(a) What is the minimum speed the particle must have to traverse the region without striking either plate?

(b) What electric field prevents the electron from deflecting? Indicate the polarity of the plates (once charged) if they are to provide this field.

2. Relevant equations

F = BIL

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

So what i did was set the equations equal to each other to get BIL = ma then I turned a into dv/dt and turn I into q/t getting me BqL/t = mdv/dt I then rearrange the equation so look like BLq/mt dt = dv I then took the integral of both sides and got v = (BqL/m)ln(t) the problem is I don't how to get d into the equation and I don't think t should be in the answer.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, mmm strange combination of formulas ... , the force of an electron ##e## that moves with a velocity ##v## in a magnetic field ##B## is ##F=evB##...

4. Dec 21, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

A second hint: think if the trajectory of an electron in a magnetic field will be linear or circular ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted