An example of a relation that is symmetric and anti-symmetric

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 19K views
Magenta55
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Would this example be valid in satisfying a relation that is symmetric and anti-symmetric?

The relation R = {(1,1),(2,2)} on the set A = {1,2,3}

Also, I'm curious to know since relations can both be neither symmetric and anti-symmetric, would R = {(1,2),(2,1),(2,3)} be an example of such a relation? (I'm unsure if I'm using the definitions correctly).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Magenta55 said:
Would this example be valid in satisfying a relation that is symmetric and anti-symmetric?
The relation R = {(1,1),(2,2)} on the set A = {1,2,3}.
Yes, and that's essentially the only case : If R is both symmetric and antisymmetric then R must be the relation ## \{(x,x),x \in B\} ## for some subset ## B\subset A ##.
Also, I'm curious to know since relations can both be neither symmetric and anti-symmetric, would R = {(1,2),(2,1),(2,3)} be an example of such a relation?
Yes. Symmetric or antisymmetric are special cases, most relations are neither (although a lot of useful/interesting relations are one or the other).
 
Last edited: