An infinite universe can expand?

In summary, the concept of the universe being infinitely large and expanding is based on the idea of distances between objects increasing from within, as experienced by observers within the universe. It is not observable from outside and the overall size of the universe is unknown. The expansion refers to a pattern of growth of distances between observers, and it is useless to talk about the size of the universe without a way to measure it. The concept is often compared to raisin bread dough where the raisins represent objects within the universe and the dough represents the space expanding. This idea can be difficult to grasp, but there are resources available such as the "charley" link recommended in the conversation.
MathJakob
Is it true that the universe can be infinitely large but still expand, so that at every particular moment in time the universe is infinitely large, but then becomes 100 light years larger for every second that time goes on for example?

For example [tex]\infty+100=\infty[/tex]

I know infinity isn't a number but something that is infinite can still increase?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Google "Hilbert's Hotel"

MathJakob said:
Is it true that the universe can be infinitely large but still expand, ...?

Sure! and what I mean by expansion of a place is what the people living there experience from WITHIN, namely distances between things increase at some percentage rate.

By expansion I do not mean anything that anybody could see from OUTSIDE because that idea has no valid basis. There is no outside, and no outside observer, that we know of. So that is not what I mean by expansion.

You should think of expansion as what people living deep inside some dough experience when they see the raisins getting farther apart. It's raisin bread dough and has yeast and was put in a warm place to rise, before being baked. And they say "You know what? I think our dough is expanding! The raisins are getting farther apart!"

As far as they know there is no outside. No limit, no other special kind of dough outside their dough, that has the raisins. There is no known SIZE of the whole, indeed logically it could be infinite. All they know is a regular pattern of expansion of distances by a certain percentage each half-hour measured by their clocks.

It is useless to talk about the overall size of the universe if we have no way to measure it. So when we say it is expanding we are talking about a pattern of growth of distances between socalled isotropic observers (observers who are not moving relative to the ancient light, but who are getting farther apart). this is a minor technical point which is rarely explained.

So you have to know what expansion means and get used to that, for the idea to make sense.
BTW try the "charley" link in my signature. It is a good SciAm article that a lot of people have used as intro to cosmology. It gets recommended a lot here.

marcus said:
Sure! and what I mean by expansion of a place is what the people living there experience from WITHIN, namely distances between things increase at some percentage rate.

By expansion I do not mean anything that anybody could see from OUTSIDE because that idea has no valid basis. There is no outside, and no outside observer, that we know of. So that is not what I mean by expansion.

You should think of expansion as what people living deep inside some dough experience when they see the raisins getting farther apart. It's raisin bread dough and has yeast and was put in a warm place to rise, before being baked. And they say "You know what? I think our dough is expanding! The raisins are getting farther apart!"

As far as they know there is no outside. No limit, no other special kind of dough outside their dough, that has the raisins. There is no known SIZE of the whole, indeed logically it could be infinite. All they know is a regular pattern of expansion of distances by a certain percentage each half-hour measured by their clocks.

It is useless to talk about the overall size of the universe if we have no way to measure it. So when we say it is expanding we are talking about a pattern of growth of distances between socalled isotropic observers (observers who are not moving relative to the ancient light, but who are getting farther apart). this is a minor technical point which is rarely explained.

So you have to know what expansion means and get used to that, for the idea to make sense.
BTW try the "charley" link in my signature. It is a good SciAm article that a lot of people have used as intro to cosmology. It gets recommended a lot here.

Thanks!

Local distances can obviously increase, but, distance become increasingly meaningless as it approaches cosmological proportions in a spatially infinite universe.

marcus said:
By expansion I do not mean anything that anybody could see from OUTSIDE because that idea has no valid basis. There is no outside, and no outside observer, that we know of.
Perhaps more to the point, even if there is an outside, they can't observe the goings-on of our universe.

1. What is an infinite universe?

An infinite universe is a theoretical concept in which the universe has no boundaries or limits, and is constantly expanding.

2. How does an infinite universe expand?

An infinite universe expands through a process called "cosmic inflation," in which the space between galaxies and other celestial bodies expands at an accelerating rate.

3. What evidence supports the idea of an infinite expanding universe?

One key piece of evidence for an infinite expanding universe is the observation of distant galaxies moving away from each other, which is known as the Hubble Expansion. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, leftover from the Big Bang, is also consistent with an infinite universe.

4. Can an infinite universe ever stop expanding?

Based on current theories and observations, it is unlikely that an infinite universe will ever stop expanding. However, the rate of expansion may slow down or speed up over time.

5. What are the implications of an infinite expanding universe?

If the universe is indeed infinite and expanding, it means that there may be an infinite number of galaxies and potentially even an infinite number of habitable planets. It also poses philosophical questions about the nature of time and the possibility of other universes beyond our own.