An open access review of the Asgard Archaea

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
12,708

Asgard archaea: have we found our microbial ancestors?​

The Ascard Archaea are now widely hypothesized to have fused with alphaproteobacteria (that became mitochondria) to form the eukaryotes (cells with nuclei and lots of internal membrane systems that form animals, plants and fungi).
This review covers a lot of molecular, metabolic, and structural issues.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt, emitted_echo, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
It's really interesting to read more about this because I had a similar hypothesis a few years back. As I head into Uni I plan on seeing if I can get a professor to sponsor me so I can use a modified Miller-Urey setup alongside different strains of Asgard Archaea and either alphaproteobacteria or cyanobacteria to attempt induced-endosymbiosis in a laboratory setting.
 
emitted_echo said:
It's really interesting to read more about this because I had a similar hypothesis a few years back. As I head into Uni I plan on seeing if I can get a professor to sponsor me so I can use a modified Miller-Urey setup alongside different strains of Asgard Archaea and either alphaproteobacteria or cyanobacteria to attempt induced-endosymbiosis in a laboratory setting.
Any experiment involving these Asgard guys would take a long time since they divide very slowly. There are probably special culturing techniques only a few labs would be doing regularly. It would be best to go to a lab that is already doing this.