Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured New Findings about the Evolution of Complex Cellular Life

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Humans, other animals, plants, fungi and almost all other forms of complex, multi-cellular life are known as eukaryotes. How eukaryotes evolved from simpler prokaryotic organisms is a major question in evolutionary biology. The current view is that eukaryotes evolved from the fusion between a bacterium (which would eventually become the mitochondrion) and an archaeal host through a process called endosymbiosis. Until recently, the identity of the archaeal host had been mysterious. In 2015, a group of researchers led by Thijs Ettema and Lionel Guy in Sweden discovered lokiarchaeota, a phylum of archaea that shares many features with eukaryotes and was likely a close relative of the archaon that evolved into eukaryotes. Today, in the journal Nature, Ettema and co-workers report on the discovery of a larger superphylum of archaea related to lokiarchaeota, which sheds more light on the evolution of eukaryotes:
    Zaremba-Niedzwiedzka et al. 2017. Asgard archaea illuminate the origin of eukaryotic cellular complexity. Nature. Published online 11 January 2017. doi:10.1038/nature21031[/PLAIN] [Broken]

Popular press summary: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/01/our-origins-in-asgard/512645/

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2017 #2

BillTre

Science Advisor

Very cool!
    I like the Asgard motif.

I also like that the unseen thing is important.
    Kind of like the Denisovans. Similar to the Neanderthals but known only from DNA from a small finger bone (no whole fossils).

4. Jan 12, 2017 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  5. Jan 12, 2017 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

@DrClaude - the nature article is behind a paywall.

This is a really interesting finding. Thanks. It also hints strongly at why we had not seen the link before.

6. Jan 13, 2017 #5
    It is a real shame that Lynn Margullis has not lived long enough to see her bold proposal finally vindicated.

7. Jan 13, 2017 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

I think there was plenty of evidence before this to support her proposal. I would say she lived long enough to see her proposal become the main contender, and to the point where it is discussed in textbooks, eg. https://openstax.org/details/books/biology.

8. Jan 14, 2017 #7
    You may be right. The orthodox neodarwinism was the only contender in my generation and it did not allow for any deviation from it. People like Margullis and Gould were deemed as anathema for the comunity.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted