Optical System Creation: Maximizing Image Quality with First Surface Mirrors

In summary, the system should be used as a corner view for camera and it should have autofocus. The system should use FSMs to avoid errors.
hromi2
Hi guys,
I have one question or maybe some questions about creation an optical system. I have a drawing of the system (see below) where are placed 2 right angle prisms. The aim of this is to reflect image from "A" to "B". I suppose that I will need to add some lenses to do it right without optical errors, but I don't know where they should be placed and what kind of lenses should I use.

Does someone help me solve this? Thx.

icn0xz.png

Physics news on Phys.org
hromi2 said:
Hi guys,
I have one question or maybe some questions about creation an optical system. I have a drawing of the system (see below) where are placed 2 right angle prisms. The aim of this is to reflect image from "A" to "B". I suppose that I will need to add some lenses to do it right without optical errors, but I don't know where they should be placed and what kind of lenses should I use.

Does someone help me solve this? Thx.

icn0xz.png
Welcome to the PF.

What is the overall system for? How will it be used?

It should be used like a corner view for camera. So it will be placed other optical system in point "A". Therefore I suppose that my system is missing some simply solution.

hromi2 said:
It should be used like a corner view for camera. So it will be placed other optical system in point "A". Therefore I suppose that my system is missing some simply solution.
It sounds like your camera will have all of the focusing optics you will need. Have you tried doing this with just mirrors? Is this for schoolwork, BTW?

Yes, you are right. Camera is equipped with autofocus, but I'm little bit concerned if some optics errors will not appeared and the picture will be clear without some black frame or something like this. I know that the finally image will be horizontally flipped, but it's okay. Yes, it is. It's a semestral practice work.

hromi2 said:
Yes, you are right. Camera is equipped with autofocus, but I'm little bit concerned if some optics errors will not appeared and the picture will be clear without some black frame or something like this. I know that the finally image will be horizontally flipped, but it's okay. Yes, it is. It's a semestral practice work.
Are you familiar with First Surface Mirrors? Just use FSMs and make them large enough so that your camera doesn't see their edges...

1. What is an optical system?

An optical system is a collection of components that work together to manipulate light for a specific purpose. This can include lenses, mirrors, prisms, and other devices that control the direction, intensity, and wavelength of light.

2. What are the steps involved in creating an optical system?

The first step in creating an optical system is to define the purpose or function of the system. Then, a design is created using mathematical calculations and computer simulations. Next, the necessary components are selected and assembled into the system. The system is then tested and refined to achieve the desired performance.

3. What factors should be considered when designing an optical system?

Some important factors to consider when designing an optical system include the type of light source, the desired wavelength range, the required level of precision, and the environmental conditions. It is also important to consider the materials and coatings used for the components, as well as any potential aberrations or distortions that may occur.

4. How can optical systems be used in various industries?

Optical systems have a wide range of applications in various industries, including telecommunications, medicine, manufacturing, and defense. They can be used for imaging, data transmission, measurement and sensing, and many other purposes.

5. What are some common challenges in creating optical systems?

Some common challenges in creating optical systems include maintaining precise alignment of components, minimizing unwanted reflections and distortions, and achieving the desired level of performance within budget constraints. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the performance of optical systems and must be carefully considered and controlled.