Wave Physics - Optics - Effective Focal Length

In summary, the effective focal length of a lens system with seven lenses and a distance of 50mm between them is 25mm.
trocadero
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
A lens system has seven lenses and each lens has the focal length 25mm. They are placed with a distance of 50mm between them. What is the effective focal length (EFL) of the system?

So we have the focal lengths:
f1, f2, ..., f7 = 25mm
And the distance between the lenses:
d1-2, d2-3, ..., d6-7 = 50mm

I have figured out that if the system would be afocal if it had an even number of these lenses. This is because the focal length of two adjacent lenses is the same as the distance between them. But since it's an uneven number it should have a focal length. I have drawn the light path of the system with only three of the lenses, but it is clear that the system repeats itself.
This image from wikipedia illustrates the light path between two of the lenses, except in my case f1 = f2 = 25mm and d = 50mm thus D1 = D2.
1280px-Afocal_System.svg.png
But I don't understand how to find the EFL. Using this formula for a three lens system to calculate it will of course result in division with zero.
eq_3-el.gif

Is there something else I can do with this information?

Attachments

• 1280px-Afocal_System.svg.png
    1280px-Afocal_System.svg.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 2,082
  • eq_3-el.gif
    eq_3-el.gif
    936 bytes · Views: 841
Physics news on Phys.org
trocadero said:
But I don't understand how to find the EFL.

first you may try to analyse the ray diagram for two lenses given by you...it appears that a set of parallel rays is coming out as parallel from the 2nd lens...given the numbers try to figure out at what distance a set of parallel rays converge ...for all the seven lenses..then one can get the effective focal length.
your first lens is forming an image at 25mm...which works as an object for the 2nd lens...kept at focal length so each pair leads to a set of parallel rays only the last one converges at 25mm. try to work out the effective focal length.

Likes trocadero
drvrm said:
first you may try to analyse the ray diagram for two lenses given by you...it appears that a set of parallel rays is coming out as parallel from the 2nd lens...given the numbers try to figure out at what distance a set of parallel rays converge ...for all the seven lenses..then one can get the effective focal length.
your first lens is forming an image at 25mm...which works as an object for the 2nd lens...kept at focal length so each pair leads to a set of parallel rays only the last one converges at 25mm. try to work out the effective focal length.
Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking that since the rays converges at 25mm after the last lens it should mean that the effective focal length should be 25mm. The system is only repeating so the last lens should have the same effect on the rays as only a single 25mm lens. Or am I wrong?

trocadero said:
since the rays converges at 25mm after the last lens it should mean that the effective focal length should be 25mm.

please try the definition of 'focal length'...so it should be the distance from the 'lens system' to the focal point where the parallel rays converge...and it must be larger than 25 mm.
by the way did you get know why you were getting infinity when using some formulae quoted by you...its answer may be interesting...?

drvrm said:
please try the definition of 'focal length'...so it should be the distance from the 'lens system' to the focal point where the parallel rays converge...and it must be larger than 25 mm.
by the way did you get know why you were getting infinity when using some formulae quoted by you...its answer may be interesting...?
Thank you again!
So we have learned that if you extend the rays that have come through the last lens, they should cross where the rays originally came from at the position of the lens equivalent. And the distance from the lens equivalent to the focal point is the effective focal length. This picture illustrates that.
Lens_telephoto_1.png

But the rays in my system that converges at 25mm after the last lens doesn't cross where they came from originally if I extend them. So does that mean that the focal length is infinity?

Attachments

• Lens_telephoto_1.png
    Lens_telephoto_1.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,796
trocadero said:
But the rays in my system that converges at 25mm after the last lens doesn't cross where they came from originally if I extend them. So does that mean that the focal length is infinity?

by equivalent focal length of the system...one means that the parallel rays coming from left on the system produces an image of the object from which the rays are incident ...so you get an image at a finite distance ...so your focal length of the system is finite...the object is at infinity so that rays may be parallel...like pointing the system at Sun to catch its rays...or collimating rays from a source so that they are parallel or keeping the object at far off place so that its ;arge compared to the linear dimensions of system and distances from screen..

drvrm said:
by equivalent focal length of the system...one means that the parallel rays coming from left on the system produces an image of the object from which the rays are incident ...so you get an image at a finite distance ...so your focal length of the system is finite...the object is at infinity so that rays may be parallel...like pointing the system at Sun to catch its rays...or collimating rays from a source so that they are parallel or keeping the object at far off place so that its ;arge compared to the linear dimensions of system and distances from screen..
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. So if the focal length is finite, it will be the distance from the lens equivalent to where the rays converge (25mm after the last lens). But where is the lens equivalent? At the position of the first lens? Then the focal length would be 50mm*6+25mm = 325mm. If it's not, how could I else calculate or draw where the lens equivalent should be?

trocadero said:
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand.

for understanding you must draw the ray diagram...imagine the lens system kept in a tube and get incident parallel rays from left in the tube then on the right hand from the edge you may get an image. so you can imagine a equivalent lens at the left edge and therefore the distance including the length of the tube... will give you focal length.
if you imagine the lens to be kept anywhere else then how you will have objects placed at different distances and can take images.
suppose you get incident parallel rays from the right end ...again one should get an image on the left distance 25mm from the left edge.

drvrm said:
so you can imagine a equivalent lens at the left edge and therefore the distance including the length of the tube... will give you focal length.
So if I understand you correctly, the first lens would be at the left edge of the tube. And the image will be 25mm to the right of the tube when rays are coming from the left. And since it's 50mm between each of the seven lenses the tube will be 300mm long. Then shouldn't the focal length be 325mm in total? I really don't get what I am missing here.

trocadero said:
Then shouldn't the focal length be 325mm in total? I really don't get what I am missing here.
by simple definition of focal length of a system of lenses it comes to same 325mm...however in your problem why one would put all those six lenses is not physically understandable to me ?

drvrm said:
by simple definition of focal length of a system of lenses it comes to same 325mm...however in your problem why one would put all those six lenses is not physically understandable to me ?
It's not a real world problem I think, the question is probably designed for us to research about focal length and understand afocal systems as well.
But you wrote six lenses, wouldn't 325mm be for seven lenses?

trocadero said:
But you wrote six lenses, wouldn't 325mm be for seven lenses?

yes the effective focal length of seven lenses will be 325 mm. i referred to those six which were so placed to render the rays parallel only.

drvrm said:
yes the effective focal length of seven lenses will be 325 mm. i referred to those six which were so placed to render the rays parallel only.
Ok, thank you so much for all of your help. I appreciate it! I've learned a whole lot in the process.

1. What is the effective focal length (EFL) of a lens?

The effective focal length (EFL) of a lens is the distance between the lens and the image plane where a point object will be focused to a single point. It is a measure of the strength of the lens and determines the magnification and sharpness of the resulting image.

2. How is the effective focal length of a lens calculated?

The effective focal length of a lens can be calculated by multiplying the focal length of the lens by the refractive index of the material the lens is made of. This value can then be divided by the refractive index of the medium in which the lens is being used (e.g. air, water, etc.).

3. What factors affect the effective focal length of a lens?

The effective focal length of a lens can be affected by the curvature of the lens, the refractive index of the lens material, and the refractive index of the surrounding medium. Additionally, the thickness of the lens and the shape and placement of any additional optical elements can also impact the EFL.

4. How does the effective focal length of a lens impact image quality?

The effective focal length of a lens plays a significant role in determining the quality of an image. A longer EFL results in a higher magnification and a narrower field of view, while a shorter EFL produces a wider field of view but may result in image distortion. A well-chosen EFL is crucial in producing sharp and accurate images.

5. Can the effective focal length of a lens be changed?

Yes, the EFL of a lens can be changed by altering the curvature of the lens surface or by combining multiple lenses together. This is commonly seen in zoom lenses, where the focal length can be adjusted to produce different levels of magnification. Additionally, using different materials or mediums can also change the effective focal length of a lens.