An ambigious optical system with ambigious solutions [JEE Adv - 20`16]

In summary, many people have attempted to solve this problem by calculating the image formed by the lens and then projecting that image onto the tilted axis of the spherical mirror, but there is no single correct answer. Some people claim that the projection is done using (ii), but this is not always correct.
BlazenHammer
Homework Statement
A small object is placed 50 cm to the left of a thin convex lens of focal length 30 cm. A convax
spherical mirror of radius of curvature 100 cm is placed to the right of the lens at a distance of 40
cm. The mirror is tilted such that the axis of the mirror is at an angle θ = 30º to the axis of the
lens, as shown in the figure.

If the origin of the coordinate system is taken to be at the centre of the lens, the coordinates (in
cm) of the point (x, y) at which the image is formed are
(A) (0, 0) (B) (50 – 25##\sqrt{3}##,25) (C) (25,25##\sqrt{3}##) (D) (125 /3,25##\sqrt{3}##)
Relevant Equations
The usual formula in Geometrical Optics.(Although I'm doubtful if they are applicable to this problem)
jeeadv16optics.png

This problem was asked in one of the most prestigious exams in India: JEE Advanced, unfortunately it was considered to be ambiguous for the scope of given examination and hence no official answer is issued for it as such.(BONUS marks to all)

And so many solutions were posted on Internet which are conflicting in physical principle with each other.

(i) Some are able to arrive at the (supposedly) correct answer (C)(25, ##25\sqrt{3}##) (during the time of their publication) by applying mirror formula and assuming that rotation just changes orientation of reflected ray and preserves length, so image formed(by spherical mirror) is such that it radius vector is 50cm from mirror vertex just oriented 60 degree axis and proceed to do little trigonometry to arrive at answer.

(ii)Some of the solution on internet(again during the time of their publication) , first calculate the image formed by lens and then go on to calculate the image projection on the (now tilted) axis of spherical mirror, using that projection on axis as image, they apply the mirror formula , and locate the corresponding image which comes out in terms of some nasty surds and then assume since the only option closest to their answer is (C) hence they option C is correct

(iii) Recent one assumes this was a wrong question(hence awarded BONUS) as it was out of scope of syllabus.

What is my take on it?

I think (i) and (ii) are wrong because the mirror formula they use is only valid for paraxial rays since the mirror is tilted by 30 degrees so do the angle subtended by rays which ought to be paraxial increases by massive 30 degrees and after a little cheating(manual raytracing) I found that indeed it subtends a significant angle

Where am I stuck ?

Maybe I'm wrong and (i) and (ii) are correct as I'm not the most brightest of the lot?

Even If everyone is incorrect here and its out of scope of syllabus I want to know how to tackle this kind of optical system , just for the sake of curiosity

I have one more question:

Is the projection of image voodo on the titled axis of spherical mirror done by (ii) guys is correct to apply mirror formula ? Is it physcially correct ( I feel uneasy to accept it because I don't think I've understood it correctly)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please explain to me the concept of projection of image in titled axis of mirror and why it's correct to apply mirror formula after that? Thanks in advance

1. What is an ambigious optical system?

An ambigious optical system is a system in which the path of light rays is uncertain or not clearly defined, leading to multiple possible outcomes. This can occur due to factors such as reflections, refractions, and diffractions.

2. What are ambigious solutions in an optical system?

Ambigious solutions refer to the multiple possible outcomes or interpretations of an optical system. In other words, there is not a single definitive solution or path for the light rays to follow, leading to uncertainty or confusion in the system.

3. How do we deal with an ambigious optical system?

To deal with an ambigious optical system, we can use techniques such as ray tracing, which involves tracing the path of light rays through the system to determine the possible outcomes. Additionally, we can use mathematical calculations and models to analyze the system and predict the most likely outcomes.

4. What are some examples of ambigious optical systems?

One example of an ambigious optical system is a kaleidoscope, where the reflections and refractions of light create multiple images and patterns. Another example is a mirage, where the bending of light in the atmosphere can create the illusion of objects that are not actually present.

5. How does understanding ambigious optical systems relate to real-world applications?

Understanding ambigious optical systems is important in various fields such as optics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict and control the behavior of light in various systems, which is crucial in the development of technologies such as cameras, telescopes, and fiber optics. Additionally, it can help us to better understand natural phenomena such as the formation of rainbows and mirages.