Analogy Between Long Division and Polynomial Long Division

In summary: + 100 + 20 + 5 - 1 _________ ________ ________ ________ ________ _____58 | 302985 -(348000) ________________ ___________ ________ ___ -45015 -(-52200) ______________ ______________ ______ 7185 -(5800) ____ __________ ____________ ____ 1385 -(1160) _______ ____________ ___________ ______ 225 -(290) ____ _______ _____________ ______ _____ -(65) -(-58) _________ _______________ ________ -7
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Hopefully, anyone who has studied polynomial long division understands the link between it and regular long division. If you divide $58$ into $302985$, you could follow the usual long division procedure and obtain the answer. Alternatively, if you divide $x+4$ into $x^{3}+2x^{2}+6x+7$, you could use the exact same math to perform this division. However, polynomial long division offers one feature that I am not sure has its analogy in regular long division: minus signs. I can also divide $x-4$ into $x^{3}+2x^{2}+6x+7$ or $x+4$ into $x^{3}-2x^{2}+6x-7$. My question is this: is there an analogy in regular long division for minus signs in polynomial long division?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ackbach said:
Hopefully, anyone who has studied polynomial long division understands the link between it and regular long division. If you divide $58$ into $302985$, you could follow the usual long division procedure and obtain the answer. Alternatively, if you divide $x+4$ into $x^{3}+2x^{2}+6x+7$, you could use the exact same math to perform this division. However, polynomial long division offers one feature that I am not sure has its analogy in regular long division: minus signs. I can also divide $x-4$ into $x^{3}+2x^{2}+6x+7$ or $x+4$ into $x^{3}-2x^{2}+6x-7$. My question is this: is there an analogy in regular long division for minus signs in polynomial long division?

When you do a long division with regular numbers, you are converting the result to decimal form: $\sum a_i 10^i$.
By convention all $a_i$ are between 0 and 9.

We don't have to do it that way though.
We can also use a different base than 10, say 16.
Or we can choose that all $a_i$ should be between -5 and +4.
That way you'll get a different representation of the result, similar to doing polynomial division.

Note that if you define x=10 in polynomial division, and also constrain the factors to be between 0 and 9, you get regular long division.

If you allow me to lose the place value in the answer then yes , i can make make it happen.
$ \ \ \ $ 6000 - 900 + 100 + 20 + 5 - 1
_________ ________ ________ ________ ________ _____
58 | 302985
-(348000)
________________ ___________ ________ ___
-(-52200)
______________ ______________ ______
-(5800)
____ __________ ____________ ____
-(1160)
_______ ____________ ___________ ______
-(290)
____ _______ _____________ ______ _____
-(65)
-(-58)
_________ _______________ ________

You can stop now if you're bored or you can continue for as long as you like , what i have done is make a guess at each step until the subtraction produced a number that is obviously a remainder , -7. It doesn't matter if i go 'over' or 'under' at any step AND it doesn't matter by how much i am in error , the rules of arithmetic (and algebra indirectly) gaurantee the result is true.

$ 6000 - 900 + 100 + 20 + 5 - 1 - \frac{7}{58} = 5224 - \frac{7}{58} = 302985 ÷ 58 $

An easier example that doesn't use too many numbers and operations would be to do 9 ÷ 7

$ \ \ \ $ 2 - 1
$ \ \ \ $ _______
7 | 9
-(14)

So the answer is $ \ \ 2 - 1 + \frac{2}{7} = 1 + \frac{2}{7} $

Note that we can stop after the first 'guess' of 2 and we would get

$ 2 - \frac{5}{7} $

which is the correct answer. So at every step the algorithm produces a correct answer ... in my previous post as well ... it must be , otherwise we would not get the correct answer in the end because each subsequent calculation depends on the previous calculation , but some answers are more useful than others , depending on what you like or are looking for a particular representation of the same correct answer.

:D

I like Serena said:
When you do a long division with regular numbers, you are converting the result to decimal form: $\sum a_i 10^i$.
By convention all $a_i$ are between 0 and 9.

We don't have to do it that way though.
We can also use a different base than 10, say 16.
Or we can choose that all $a_i$ should be between -5 and +4.
That way you'll get a different representation of the result, similar to doing polynomial division.

Note that if you define x=10 in polynomial division, and also constrain the factors to be between 0 and 9, you get regular long division.

agentmulder said:
If you allow me to lose the place value in the answer then yes , i can make make it happen.
$ \ \ \ $ 6000 - 900 + 100 + 20 + 5 - 1
_________ ________ ________ ________ ________ _____
58 | 302985
-(348000)
________________ ___________ ________ ___
-(-52200)
______________ ______________ ______
-(5800)
____ __________ ____________ ____
-(1160)
_______ ____________ ___________ ______
-(290)
____ _______ _____________ ______ _____
-(65)
-(-58)
_________ _______________ ________

You can stop now if you're bored or you can continue for as long as you like , what i have done is make a guess at each step until the subtraction produced a number that is obviously a remainder , -7. It doesn't matter if i go 'over' or 'under' at any step AND it doesn't matter by how much i am in error , the rules of arithmetic (and algebra indirectly) gaurantee the result is true.

$ 6000 - 900 + 100 + 20 + 5 - 1 - \frac{7}{58} = 5224 - \frac{7}{58} = 302985 ÷ 58 $

agentmulder said:
An easier example that doesn't use too many numbers and operations would be to do 9 ÷ 7

$ \ \ \ $ 2 - 1
$ \ \ \ $ _______
7 | 9
-(14)

So the answer is $ \ \ 2 - 1 + \frac{2}{7} = 1 + \frac{2}{7} $

Note that we can stop after the first 'guess' of 2 and we would get

$ 2 - \frac{5}{7} $

which is the correct answer. So at every step the algorithm produces a correct answer ... in my previous post as well ... it must be , otherwise we would not get the correct answer in the end because each subsequent calculation depends on the previous calculation , but some answers are more useful than others , depending on what you like or are looking for a particular representation of the same correct answer.

Excellent! So the analogy was always there under my very nose; but because regular long division is hardly ever taught this way (ever taught this way?), it would not be obvious unless you go looking for it. This relieves the tension in my mind between the two; it seemed to me that the analogy had to be exact! You really are doing the same math.

You can also follow 'THEIR' rules about keeping place value and positive remainders until you decide to break the rules , Kobayashi Maru style. :D

1156432 ÷ 7

I'm going to follow the rules by putting 7 into 11 once then 7 into 45 6 times then 7 into 36 5 times , then break the rules and start 'guessing'

So far I've got this ,

$ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ 165' + 200 + 5
$ \ \ \ $ __________ ________
7 | 1156432
$ \ $ -(1155000)
$ \ \ $ ________ ________ ___
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ 1432
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ -(1400)
$ \ \ $ ________ ________ ________
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ 32
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ -(35)
$ \ \ $ ________ ________ ________
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ -3

That 165 represents 165000 because I'm 'honoring' place value , now start the guesswork and break the rule , any way you like ... i make a 'guess' that 7 will go into 1432 200 times then subtract 1400 and then 'guess' 7 will go into 32 5 times so that i can break the other rule about 'positive remainders'

Puting it all together gives $ 165000 + 200 + 5 - \frac{3}{7} = 165205 - \frac{3}{7}$

I could have made different 'guesses' , more wildly inaccurate 'guesses' , the procedure would have been longer but if do my arithmetic correctly , every step is a valid representation of the answer.

We could put a mark on 165 to let us know we're breaking the rule after that point and make a note

165' = 165000

as i have done above.

What is the analogy between long division and polynomial long division?

The analogy between long division and polynomial long division is that both are methods used to divide larger numbers or polynomials into smaller parts, known as quotients. Just like how long division involves dividing a number by another number, polynomial long division involves dividing a polynomial by another polynomial.

How does long division relate to polynomial long division?

Long division is a foundational concept that is used to understand polynomial long division. The steps and principles of long division can be applied to polynomial long division, but with the added complexity of working with variables and exponents.

What are the key steps in polynomial long division?

The key steps in polynomial long division include: dividing the first term of the dividend by the first term of the divisor to get the first term of the quotient, multiplying the entire divisor by this first term of the quotient, subtracting this product from the dividend, bringing down the next term of the dividend, and repeating this process until all terms of the dividend have been brought down and the remainder is a smaller polynomial than the divisor.

Why is polynomial long division important?

Polynomial long division is important because it allows us to divide polynomials and find the quotient and remainder, which are important in many areas of mathematics such as algebra, calculus, and engineering. It also helps us to simplify complicated expressions and solve polynomial equations.

What are some common mistakes made when performing polynomial long division?

Some common mistakes made when performing polynomial long division include forgetting to bring down all terms of the dividend, dividing the wrong terms, making errors in the multiplication step, and forgetting to include the remainder in the final answer. It is important to carefully check each step and double check the final answer to avoid these mistakes.