Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is long division for a non-polynomic function possible?

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    My question is: suppose you have a function ##F(x)## which has an asymptote at ##x=x*##. Can you decompose ##F(x)## so that
    $$F(x) = G(x) + H(x)$$
    where ##G(x)## is defined at ##x=x*## and ##H(x)## contains the asymptotic behaviour at ##x=x*## and goes to ##0## at plus or minus ##\inf##? This is commonly done when ##F(x)## is a polynomial in order to approximate ##F(x)##'s behaviour with the function ##G(x)## when ##x## is sufficiently far away from ##x^{*}##.

I have a very complicated function ##F(x)## that I would like to extract ##G(x)## from. If you're curious here it is:

$$F(x) = \frac{(2 a_1 z^{-a_2} -2 a_1 z^{-a_1} + z^{-a_1} - z^{-a_2}+ a_1^2 z^{-a_1} - a_2^2 z^{-a_2}) ln(z)^2 + (2 a_2 z^{-a_2} -2 a_1 z^{-a_1}+2 z^{-a_2} - 2 z^{-a_1}) ln(z) + 2 z^{-a_1} - 2 z^{-a_2}}
    {(a_1 z^{-a_1} - a_2 z^{-a_2} + z^{-a_2} - z^{-a_1}) ln(z)^2 + (z^{-a_1}-z^{-a_2}) ln(z)}$$

where
    $$z = 10^{x-x^{*}}$$
    and ##a_2>a_1>0## and ##x^*>0##. I've attached a graph for an instance of the function where ##x^{*}=2##. As you can see there is an asymptote at ##x=2##. I want either ##G(x)## or the slope of ##G(x)## at ##x=x^{*}##. Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-04%20at%207.08.13%20PM.png

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Such a decomposition is always possible and never unique (e.g. for every solution you can add a Gaussian to G and subtract it from H). That also means that the slope of G(x) is not fixed at x=x*, it can have any value you like.

To find a possible decomposition, it is sufficient to describe the behavior either for x around x* or for x to +- infinity. The latter is probably easier here as it does not involve finding x*.

4. Apr 15, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much for your insight. You made the arbitrariness of G(x) very clear to me. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted