Analysis: Prove f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) implies f(x)=f(1)x

• Thread starter pcvt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the function f(x) has the property that f(u+v)+f(v) = f(u)+f(1)x for all rational x. If f(x) is continuous, then f(x)=f(1)x for all real x.
pcvt

Homework Statement

Suppose that a function f R->R has the property that f(u+v) = f(u)+f(v). Prove that f(x)=f(1)x for all rational x. Then, show that if f(x) is continuous that f(x)=f(1)x for all real x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've proved that f(x)=f(1)x for all natural x by breaking up x into f(1)+f(x-1) and using induction, but I can't figure out how to do it for all rationals.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is

[itex]f(1/n)+...+f(1/n)[/itex]

? (if you take n sums)

f(1)=f(1/2+1/2)=f(1/2)+f(1/2), right? That means f(1/2)=f(1)*(1/2). Can you show f(1)=f(1/3+1/3+1/3)=f(1/3)+f(1/3)+f(1/3)? How about using induction to show f(1/n)=f(1)*(1/n)??

Ok, I see that I can show it for f(1/n). How can I combine the two though, since I don't have a rule to say f(m/n)=f(1)*(m/n)? Also, how can I include negative numbers?

Thanks!

I would be inclined to look at the basic "sets of numbers" and use their defining properties. For example, the "natural numbers" or "counting numbers" are defined by "induction"- 1 is a natural number and, if n is a natural number, then n+ 1 is also. Obviously, for any number, x, f(x)= f(x)(1). Use induction to show that for any positive integer, n, then f(n)= f(x)n and then take x= 1. (You will use the general "x" below.)

The "whole numbers" are just the positive integers together with 0. And 0 is the "additive identity", for any positive integer, n, n+ 0= n. Look at f(n+ 0)= f(n)+ f(0).

The "integers" includes the negative integers: we now have additive inverse. Any negative integer is of the form -n for some positive integer n. f(n+ (-n))= f(n)+ f(-n) and, of course, f(n+(-n))= f(0).

Finally, look at numbers of the form 1/n, n non-zero. Obviously, n(1/n)= 1 so f(n(1/n))= f(1). But you have already shown that f(nx)= f(x)n. So take x= 1/n.

HallsofIvy said:
I would be inclined to look at the basic "sets of numbers" and use their defining properties. For example, the "natural numbers" or "counting numbers" are defined by "induction"- 1 is a natural number and, if n is a natural number, then n+ 1 is also. Obviously, for any number, x, f(x)= f(x)(1). Use induction to show that for any positive integer, n, then f(n)= f(x)n and then take x= 1. (You will use the general "x" below.)

The "whole numbers" are just the positive integers together with 0. And 0 is the "additive identity", for any positive integer, n, n+ 0= n. Look at f(n+ 0)= f(n)+ f(0).

The "integers" includes the negative integers: we now have additive inverse. Any negative integer is of the form -n for some positive integer n. f(n+ (-n))= f(n)+ f(-n) and, of course, f(n+(-n))= f(0).

Finally, look at numbers of the form 1/n, n non-zero. Obviously, n(1/n)= 1 so f(n(1/n))= f(1). But you have already shown that f(nx)= f(x)n. So take x= 1/n.

So helpful, got it from there. Thanks!

1. What does the equation f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) mean?

The equation f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) is known as the additivity property of a function. It means that when two values, u and v, are added together and put into the function f, the result will be the same as if each value was put into the function separately and the results were added together.

2. How is this equation relevant to analysis?

The equation f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) is relevant to analysis because it is a fundamental property of linear functions. This property allows for the simplification and manipulation of equations involving linear functions, making it a useful tool in solving problems related to analysis.

3. What is the significance of proving f(x)=f(1)x?

Proving f(x)=f(1)x is significant because it shows that the function f is a linear function with a slope of f(1). This means that for every unit increase in the input (x), the output of the function will increase by f(1) units. This is an important property in understanding the behavior and characteristics of linear functions.

4. Can this equation be applied to all types of functions?

No, this equation only applies to linear functions. Other types of functions, such as exponential or trigonometric functions, do not follow the additivity property and therefore cannot be simplified in the same way.

5. How is this equation used in real-world applications?

The equation f(u+v)=f(u)+f(v) has many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. In economics, it can be used to model the relationship between two variables, such as income and expenses. In physics, it can be used to calculate the total work done when multiple forces are acting on an object. In engineering, it can be used to determine the overall effect of multiple inputs on a system. Overall, this equation is a useful tool in understanding and analyzing various real-world phenomena.