ANALYSIS: Prove that lim x->c of sqrt{f(x)} = sqrt{L}

  • Thread starter Thread starter mathmajor2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
mathmajor2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose that f(x)>=0 in some deleted neighborhood of c, and that lim x->c f(x)=L. Prove that lim x->c sqrt{f(x)}=sqrt{L} under the assumption that L>0.

Homework Equations



When 0<|x-c|<delta, |f(x)-L|<epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution



When, 0<|x-c|<delta,

|sqrt{f(x)}-sqrt{L}| <= |sqrt{f(x)}-sqrt{L}| |sqrt{f(x)}+sqrt{L}|=|f(x)-L|< epsilon.

I just have a feeling this isn't how I am supposed to do this problem...help would be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmajor2013 said:

Homework Statement



Suppose that f(x)>=0 in some deleted neighborhood of c, and that lim x->c f(x)=L. Prove that lim x->c sqrt{f(x)}=sqrt{L} under the assumption that L>0.

Homework Equations



When 0<|x-c|<delta, |f(x)-L|<epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution



When, 0<|x-c|<delta,

|sqrt{f(x)}-sqrt{L}| <= |sqrt{f(x)}-sqrt{L}| |sqrt{f(x)}+sqrt{L}|=|f(x)-L|< epsilon.

I just have a feeling this isn't how I am supposed to do this problem...help would be much appreciated.
|sqrt{f(x)}-sqrt{L}| <= |sqrt{f(x)}-sqrt{L}| |sqrt{f(x)}+sqrt{L}| ← is false if |sqrt{f(x)}+sqrt{L}| < 1