1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic equation of elliptic-like figure

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    I have to implement the following figure in a programme I am writing but I actually don’t know if there exists an analytical equation describing it. Before I had my problem propagation like a rectangular box, but this might give a better approximation. For your information I am writing a programme to describe fracture propagations in oil reservoirs at work. Do some of you guys know if it can be obtained and if yes - what it is? If no, why not? Generally assume that radius R1, R2, R3 and R4 are all different from each other. I was thinking about separating it into four sub problems and use the fact that I am looking for a function that has to be perpendicular to each radius, but I don’t want to spend a lot of time on this if there is a generally known formula.

Thx,
    Peter.

PS: Note that the outer elliptical line is wrong but just there to illustrate the problem!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could use piecewise sections of ellipses. That would at least satisfy your perpendicularity condition. Here's an example:
    nonoval.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook