Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Analytic Geometry World Problem

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1

S.R

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Points S and T lie on the line 2x+y=3. If the length ST is 13 units, and the coordinates of S are (2, -1), determine all possible coordinate pairs for T, correct to two decimal places.

For simplicity, determine the coordinates for T, relative to S from the left.

2. Relevant equations
    a^2=b^2+c^2 (in this problem, the distance formula.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used a system of equations:

y=-2x+3

(2-x)^2+(-1-y)^2=13^2

This system is quite tedious. I used WolframAlpha to compute the solutions, however, they did not match the answer in my textbook.

Is this approach correct?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2
    Think of a circle with a diameter of 13 at point (2,-1). It helps if you actually draw this. To get to a coordinate or point on the arc you would...

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Kingstrick, that is exactly what he is doing. S.R., yes, that is a valid method. of course, you can replace the y in the circle equation by -2x+ 3 so that it becomes
    [tex](2- x)^2+ (-1-(-2x+3))^2= (2- x)^2+ (2x- 4)^2= 13. Multiplying that out will give you a quadratic equation which will have 2 solutions because, of course, this line is a diameter of the circle and so crosses it twice.

5. Mar 20, 2012 #4

S.R

Thanks HallsofIvy!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook