1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Geometry World Problem

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1

S.R

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Points S and T lie on the line 2x+y=3. If the length ST is 13 units, and the coordinates of S are (2, -1), determine all possible coordinate pairs for T, correct to two decimal places.

For simplicity, determine the coordinates for T, relative to S from the left.

2. Relevant equations
    a^2=b^2+c^2 (in this problem, the distance formula.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used a system of equations:

y=-2x+3

(2-x)^2+(-1-y)^2=13^2

This system is quite tedious. I used WolframAlpha to compute the solutions, however, they did not match the answer in my textbook.

Is this approach correct?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2
    Think of a circle with a diameter of 13 at point (2,-1). It helps if you actually draw this. To get to a coordinate or point on the arc you would...

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Kingstrick, that is exactly what he is doing. S.R., yes, that is a valid method. of course, you can replace the y in the circle equation by -2x+ 3 so that it becomes
    [tex](2- x)^2+ (-1-(-2x+3))^2= (2- x)^2+ (2x- 4)^2= 13. Multiplying that out will give you a quadratic equation which will have 2 solutions because, of course, this line is a diameter of the circle and so crosses it twice.

5. Mar 20, 2012 #4

S.R

Thanks HallsofIvy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook