A,B,C are 3 points with position vectors a,b,c Find length of median

Aurelius120
Homework Statement
Let A,B,C are three points with position vectors $$a=\hat i+4\hat j+3\hat k$$ $$b=2\hat i+\alpha \hat j+4\hat k,$$ $$ c=3\hat i-2\hat j+5\hat k $$respectively .##\alpha \in R ##. If ##\alpha ## is the smallest positive integer for ##a,b,c## to be non-collinear, length of median through ##A## of ##\Delta ABC## is:
Relevant Equations
Equation of line in vector form : ##\vec r= \vec a+t(\vec b-\vec a)## if ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## are position vectors of two points on that line .
Magnitude of vector=##\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##
IMG-20240124-WA0000.jpeg

Heres how I proceeded,
Equation of line ##AC## in vector form:
$$\vec r=a+t(c-a)$$$$\vec r=(1i+4j+3k)+t(2i-6j+2k)$$
Since ##B## doesn't lie on ##AC## ##b\neq (1+2t)i +(4-6t)j+(3+2t)k##
The following equation is derived:
$$2\hat i+\alpha \hat j+4\hat k\neq (1+2t)\hat i +(4-6t)\hat j+(3+2t)\hat k $$

How do I further solve this to obtain ##\alpha##?

Once ##\alpha## is found, mid-point of ##BC## can be found using coordinate geometry. The magnitude of vector ##|\vec {AM}|## is required length of median.

Is there any alternate preferably easier/faster method to solve this?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Aurelius120 said:
How do I further solve this to obtain α?
First, find ##\alpha## that would make them colinear.

• Love
Likes Delta2, Aurelius120, SammyS and 1 other person
Hill said:
First, find ##\alpha## that would make them colinear.
Finally got it!
For collinearity, ##1+2t=2\implies t=\frac{1}{2}## and ##3+2t=4\implies t=\frac{1}{2}##
Since they have a common solution, ##\alpha \neq 4-\frac{6}{2}##
Therefore ##\alpha \neq 1\implies \alpha=2##

But if those equations in ##t## didn't have a common root, how would I solve for ##\alpha## ?

Also is there any alternate perhaps faster way to do this?

Aurelius120 said:
Also is there any alternate perhaps faster way to do this?
I would have put A at the origin, so that the coordinates of A, B and C are ##(0,0,0)##, ##(1, \alpha -4, 1)## and ##(2, -6, 2)##.
(PS the length you want to calculate is unchanged by a change of origin.)

Then you can see by inspection that ##\alpha = 1## makes these collinear. So, you want ##\alpha = 2##.

In any case, you could have proceeded by trial and error to find ##\alpha##.

Last edited:
Aurelius120 said:
But if those equations in t didn't have a common root, how would I solve for α ?
If they didn't have a common root, means that there is not a (same everywhere) ##t## that can make B to lie on the line AC , hence they are non colinear for any##\alpha## (this statement would require a bit of thinking from your side to fully understand it), hence ##\alpha## could be any positive integer and since we want the smallest you would take ##\alpha## as 0 (or 1, not sure if the problem statement considers 0 as positive integer).

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
If they didn't have a common root, means that there is not single ##t## that can make B to lie on the line AC, hence they are non colinear for any##\alpha## (this statement would require a bit of thinking from your side to fully understand it), hence ##\alpha## could be any positive integer and since we want the smallest you would take a as 0 (or 1, not sure if the problem statement considers 0 as positive integer).
Zero is not a positive number. A positive number is greater than 0.

PS that's why we have the term non-negative (which includes zero).

• Haha
Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
Zero is not a positive number. A positive number is greater than 0.
Yes I guess that is the current mathematical consensus but still there are some books that consider 0 as positive integer.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Yes ok I know probably 95% (or up to 99.9%) of the books out there don't consider 0 as positive integer, but I know a Greek (in Greek language by Greek authors) book on Linear and Abstract algebra that considers 0 part of the positive integer, this book was taught for the algebra course in the third year of the Greek Lyceum School (Lyceum for ages 16-18 is something equivalent to a college provided free by the Greek state) back at 1990-91.

• Informative
Likes PeroK
Aurelius120 said:
Is there any alternate preferably easier/faster method to solve this?
Sure. Skip the whole collinearity part.

The midpoint of ##BC## is ##M=\frac 1 2 (5, \alpha -2, 9)##.
The square length of ##AM## is ##\frac 1 4 (118 - 20 \alpha + \alpha^2)##.
One can quickly see that ##\alpha=2## makes the expression in parenthesis ##=82##, which is the answer choice (a). :wink:

• Haha
Likes MatinSAR, Aurelius120, PeroK and 1 other person
Hill said:
Sure. Skip the whole collinearity part.

The midpoint of ##BC## is ##M=\frac 1 2 (5, \alpha -2, 9)##.
The square length of ##AM## is ##\frac 1 4 (118 - 20 \alpha + \alpha^2)##.
One can quickly see that ##\alpha=2## makes the expression in parenthesis ##=82##, which is the answer choice (a). :wink:
This is some sort of clever cheating lol but it wont work if this was a question in a test where you had to provide some reasoning for choosing the answer. If the test wanted only to chose the answer then ok lol.

Likes Hill
Aurelius120 said:
Homework Statement: Let A,B,C are three points with position vectors $$a=\hat i+4\hat j+3\hat k$$$$b=2\hat i+\alpha \hat j+4\hat k,$$$$ c=3\hat i-2\hat j+5\hat k $$respectively .
Note that the x-coordinates go in the sequence 1, 2, 3; the y-coordinates in the sequence 4, ##\alpha##, -2; and the z-coordinates in the sequence 3, 4, 5. If you understand what collinearity means in terms of coordinates, you can see that ##\alpha = 1## makes B not just collinear with AC, but exactly the midpoint of AC.

Likes Aurelius120 and Hill
Delta2 said:
... not sure if the problem statement considers 0 as positive integer
That would be irrational. Haha.

• Haha
Likes SammyS and Delta2
Delta2 said:
I said some books, not what wikipedia says, Wiki is with the mathematical consensus ok no problem with wiki here.
I know of no mathematics book that considers zero to be a positive number. However, some mathematicians do consider zero to be a natural number, i.e. some consider that ## \displaystyle 0 \in \mathbb{N) ## .

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Delta2 and PeroK
SammyS said:
I know of no mathematics book that considers zero to be a positive number. However, some mathematicians do consider zero to be a natural number, i.e. some consider that ## \displaystyle 0 \in \mathbb{N) ## .
Well, that book was claiming also that the set of natural numbers includes zero and then it was stating that the set of natural numbers is also referred to as the set of positive integers!

Delta2 said:
Well, that book was claiming also that the set of natural numbers includes zero and then it was stating that the set of natural numbers is also referred to as the set of positive integers!
I remember in middle school we had a book that considered ##0## neither positive nor negative throughout except in a question in the 'Sets Chapter'. Teacher asked us to correct the book.

• Informative
Likes SammyS and Delta2
Ok I cant find the book in my 90's chest but I have a doubt and I think the book was defining $$\mathbb{N}={0,1,2,...}$$ and $$\mathbb{N^{*}}={1,2,3,...,}$$ and I cant remember which of those was said to be also referred as the set of positive integers...

Delta2 said:
Ok I cant find the book in my 90's chest but I have a doubt and I think the book was defining $$\mathbb{N}={0,1,2,...}$$ and $$\mathbb{N^{*}}={1,2,3,...,}$$ and I cant remember which of those was said to be also referred as the set of positive integers...
The second one!

In a math's context, 'positive' actually means 'greater than zero'!

You may just have to concede on this one!

Likes Delta2

What are position vectors a, b, and c?

Position vectors a, b, and c represent the coordinates of points A, B, and C in a three-dimensional space.

What is a median in geometry?

In geometry, a median is a line segment that connects a vertex of a triangle to the midpoint of the opposite side.

How do you find the length of a median in a triangle?

To find the length of a median in a triangle, you can use the formula: Length of median = 1/2 * sqrt(2*(b^2 + c^2) - a^2), where a, b, and c are the side lengths of the triangle.

What is the significance of finding the length of a median in a triangle?

Finding the length of a median in a triangle can help determine the balance and symmetry of the triangle. It can also be useful in various geometric calculations and proofs.

Can the length of a median be negative?

No, the length of a median in a triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the distance between the vertex and the midpoint of the opposite side.