Coordinate geometry - centroid (SL LONEY exercise problem)

In summary: Can you give me some hint ?matrixone, your hint for the first one seems interesting ... i will try it tomorrow .. now its quite late here in india ... thank you (:In summary, using the Pythagorean theorem and by dropping a perpendicular from point A to side BC, we can establish the relationship between the lengths AB, AC, AA', and BA'(=CA'). This will lead to the solution for the given problem. Additionally, another approach using coordinate geometry can also be used, by picking specific vertices and evaluating the left and right hand sides of the equation. The second problem can be approached using the cosine rule, by drawing the figure and using the relationship between the sides and angles of the triangle.
matrixone

Homework Statement

If G be the centroid of ΔABC and O be any other point, prove that ,
## 3(GA^2 + GB^2 + GC^2)=BC^2+CA^2+AB^2##
##and,##
##OA^2 + OB^2 + OC^2 = GA^2.GB^2+GC^2+3GO^2##

Homework Equations

i m practising from S L LONEY coordinate geometry first chapter ... only the equation that i used to solve is mentioned in the chapter...

The Attempt at a Solution

i felt that co ordinate geometry approach will be cumbersome ...
so i started with
##GA^2 + GB^2 = AB^2+2.GA.GB.cos∠AGB##
and similar 2 more equations
But i am stuck here ! :(

And for the 2nd question i can't even get a start ...

Please help me with a hint ...
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a triangle ABC and drop a median from A to A', the midpoint of BC, what is the relationship between the lengths AB, AC, AA' and BA'(=CA')?

I can't find any sir... : ( ...definitely , ΔABA' and ΔACA' are not similar ...
are you referring to the same cosine rule that i used ?

matrixone said:
I can't find any sir... : ( ...definitely , ΔABA' and ΔACA' are not similar ...
are you referring to the same cosine rule that i used ?
No. It is a result I dimly recall from my own schooldays, so I thought you may have encountered it in your book.
Drop a perpendicular from A to BC meeting it at P. Call AP length h and PA' length x. What three equations can you write relating these to AB, AC etc. using Pythagoras' Theorem?

haruspex said:
No. It is a result I dimly recall from my own schooldays, so I thought you may have encountered it in your book.
Drop a perpendicular from A to BC meeting it at P. Call AP length h and PA' length x. What three equations can you write relating these to AB, AC etc. using Pythagoras' Theorem?
triangle.png

BP2 + h2 = AB2
PC2 + h2 = AC2
x2 + h2 = AA'2

Last edited:
matrixone said:
BP2 + h2 = AB2
PC2 + h2 = AC2
x2 + h2 = AA'2
There's a mistake in the first one, probably just typed wrongly.
You need to get rid of PC. What is the relationship between PC, x and A'C?
Next manipulate the equations to eliminate x2 and h2.

matrixone said:
i felt that co ordinate geometry approach will be cumbersome ...
so i started with
GA2+GB2=AB2+2.GA.GB.cos∠AGBGA2+GB2=AB2+2.GA.GB.cos∠AGBGA^2 + GB^2 = AB^2+2.GA.GB.cos∠AGB
and similar 2 more equations
But i am stuck here ! :(

And for the 2nd question i can't even get a start ...

Please help me with a hint ...

Pick a triangle of verticies ##(0,0), (a,0), (x,y)## then ##G = \left({a + x \over 3}, {y\over 3}\right)
##. Now you evaluate LHS of first equation and then RHS. It is not that cumbersome.

For the second draw the figure and use cosine rule.

Last edited:
upload_2017-3-5_3-5-57.png

Use cosine rule on the vertex G of the red triangle. I am not sure it will work though.

Buffu said:
Pick a triangle of verticies ##(0,0), (a,0), (x,y)## then ##G = \left({a + x \over 3}, {y\over 3}\right)
##. Now you evaluate LHS of first equation and then RHS. It is not that cumbersome.

For the second draw the figure and use cosine rule.

that was optimistic choice of vertices. I solved it that way (by comparing coefficients) and yes, not too cumbersome. thanks :)

haruspex said:
There's a mistake in the first one, probably just typed wrongly.
You need to get rid of PC. What is the relationship between PC, x and A'C?
Next manipulate the equations to eliminate x2 and h2.

I can't see any mistake in the first one sir.. : ( ...and by changing PC = A'C - x , from last two equations i am able to get an expression for x (a big one) and then using that value to get expression for h seems even a time consuming approach .(Buffu's solution seems better)... And i can't see were this leads to the actual problem ...Or, were you thinking in some other way ?

matrixone, how did you do the second one ? I tried but am stuck on cosines.

matrixone said:
I can't see any mistake in the first one sir
Sorry, I thought I replied to this... No, you are right, I misread something.

IssacNewton said:
matrixone, how did you do the second one ? I tried but am stuck on cosines.

I can solve this but my method is too primitive to do.

matrixone said:
from last two equations i am able to get an expression for x (a big one
No, you should get quite a simple relationship between AB, AC, A'B and AA'. Please post your working.
It is a well-known theorem.

Once you have that, the original problem is quite easy.

Buffu, what primitive method you are talking ?

What is the definition of a centroid in coordinate geometry?

A centroid is the point of intersection of the medians of a triangle, which is the point where the three medians intersect. It is also known as the center of mass or center of gravity of the triangle.

How do you find the coordinates of a centroid?

The coordinates of a centroid can be found by taking the average of the coordinates of the vertices of the triangle. For example, if the coordinates of the vertices are (x1, y1), (x2, y2), and (x3, y3), then the coordinates of the centroid would be ((x1+x2+x3)/3, (y1+y2+y3)/3).

What is the relationship between the centroid and the medians of a triangle?

The centroid is located at the point of intersection of the three medians of a triangle. The medians of a triangle are the line segments from each vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side. The centroid divides each median into two segments with the ratio of 2:1, where the longer segment is closer to the vertex.

What is the significance of the centroid in coordinate geometry?

The centroid is an important point in coordinate geometry because it is the center of mass of the triangle. This means that if the triangle was cut out of a piece of cardboard and balanced on a point at the centroid, it would be perfectly balanced. The centroid is also used in various mathematical proofs and formulas relating to triangles.

Can the centroid be located outside of the triangle?

No, the centroid will always be located within the triangle. This is because the medians of a triangle must intersect within the triangle in order to form a triangle. Therefore, the centroid will always be contained within the triangle, even if the triangle is irregular or obtuse.