Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic mapping from disk to disk must be rational

1. Feb 22, 2013 #1
    Let f(x) be a function which is defined in the open unit disk (|z| < 1) and is analytic there. f(z) maps the unit disk onto itself k times, meaning |f(z)| < 1 for all |z| < 1 and every point in the unit disk has k preimages under f(z). Prove that f(z) must be a rational function. Furthermore, show that the degree of its denominator cannot exceed k.

If this was limited to k=1 I think we could use the Riemann mapping theorem, but for larger k I am quite lost. How does one go about proving that an arbitrary analytic function with these givens must be rational? I've seen a form of this question in several places, but I still can't grasp how one would tackle such a problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2013 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think under these hypotheses, probably k must be 1. and then we are concerned with automorphisms of the unit disc, all fractional linear transformations.

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What about [itex]f(z)=z^2[/itex]. This seems to satisfy the conditions? Except of course that 0 only has 1 preimage. It does have 2 preimage counting multiplicity, so I wonder whether to count the preimages with multiplicity or not.

5. Feb 22, 2013 #4
    I do believe we should consider the multiplicity; my language was imprecise as I was paraphrasing the problem I've encountered in several sources before. I think [itex]f(z)=z^n[/itex] are precisely the types of functions we are looking for. But I have no clue how to show that any arbitrary analytic function that covers the unit disk in this way must be rational. I feel like there's a theorem I'm missing.

6. Feb 27, 2013 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i was using the fact that he did not use multiplicities for counting preimages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook