Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Solutions to a Few Trig Equations

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    Is there an analytic solution to an equation of the following form?

A*cos(w*t) + B*t = C

where A, B, C, and w are constants

Maybe it can be solved by expanding the cos() to a series?

I am also wondering the same question about the following, though I believe that I've read/been told that there is no known analytic solution.

A*cos([tex]\Theta[/tex]) + B*sin([tex]\Theta[/tex]) = C
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2
    If what you mean by an analytical solution is a finite expression using only "elementary functions" then I don't believe the first has an analytical solution. You could of course always define a solution set:
    [tex]S = \{t | A\cdot \cos(wt) + Bt = C\}[/tex]
    which I would consider a solution, though it doesn't tell us how to solve it.

For the second it's pretty easy. Rearrange:
    [tex]A \cdot \cos(\Theta) = C - B\cdot \sin (\Theta)[/tex]
    [tex]A^2 (1-\sin^2(\Theta)) = C^2 + B^2 \sin^2(\Theta) - 2BC\cdot \sin(\Theta)[/tex]
    Then it's a simple quadratic equation in [tex]\sin(\Theta)[/tex].
  4. Sep 20, 2008 #3

The solution to the second is so simple, I almost can't believe I didn't come up with it. I guess that shows what happens when you haven't had a math class in a few years.

By analytic solution, I mean an equation solved for t, instead of a numerical method.
  5. Sep 20, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Don't think there is a closed form solution. You'll have to approximate it numerically.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?