Analytical Mechanics- constraints/lagrange

In summary, the conversation discusses a point mass moving under the influence of gravity along a given curve in two dimensional motion. The constraint force as a function of x is formulated and a condition for when the skier falls off the curve is discussed. This can be determined by setting the constraint force to zero and finding a term with a's and n's = 1, which can only be satisfied for n > 2. Additionally, it is noted that the ground must be dropping faster than the skier for them to fall off the curve.
Elvex

Homework Statement

Consider a point mass m moving under the influence of the gravitational force F= -mg e_y . The mass is constrained to slide along a given curve y= f(x) in the x-y plane. You may set z=0 from the start and consider two dimensional motion.

c) A Skier descends a slope with profile y= -ax^n with a>0 and n>0. She starts at the top at (x,y) = (0,0) with zero velocity, and slides straight down without friction under the influence of gravity. If the slope steepens sufficiently, the skis will leave the ground at some point. Formulate a condition for when this happens. For what values of the parameter n, and at which point, do the skis leave the ground?

OK, so I already formulated the constraint and solved for the constraint force as a function of x. It's pretty messy.

My question is more a conceptual one. How do I define a condition for when the skier falls off the curve?

Does this have to do with relating the constraint force to the gravitational force? The tangent line of the constraint force? I'm not really sure how to start this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at it two ways:

When the normal force from the hill is greater than the gravitational force perpendicular to it

or,

When the hill is dropping faster than the skier.

Hope that helps

I got it, I had to set the constraint force to zero, or my lagrange multiplier really cause the gradient of my constraint is trivial in setting F = 0.

I then dropped the E term cause E = 0 in this case, U defined as being negative... and then got a term with a's and n's = 1, which can only be satisfied for n > 2. Good problem.

Elvex said:
... and then got a term with a's and n's = 1, which can only be satisfied for n > 2. Good problem.

And that answer is obviously correct, because if the ground was not there the skier would be falling in a parabola. i .e. with n = 2. :wink:

1. What is the purpose of constraints in analytical mechanics?

Constraints in analytical mechanics are used to restrict the possible motions of a system. They help define the boundaries and limitations of the system, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.

2. What is the significance of Lagrange multipliers in analytical mechanics?

Lagrange multipliers are used to incorporate constraints into the equations of motion in analytical mechanics. They allow for the inclusion of constraints without having to modify the original equations, making the analysis more efficient and accurate.

3. How are constraints and Lagrange multipliers related?

Constraints and Lagrange multipliers are closely related in analytical mechanics. Constraints define the limitations on the system, while Lagrange multipliers are used to incorporate these constraints into the equations of motion.

4. What are holonomic and non-holonomic constraints in analytical mechanics?

Holonomic constraints are those that can be expressed as equations between the coordinates of the system. Non-holonomic constraints, on the other hand, cannot be expressed in this way and may involve time derivatives of the coordinates.

5. How do constraints affect the degrees of freedom in a system?

Constraints reduce the degrees of freedom in a system by limiting the possible motions. The number of constraints in a system can be used to determine the number of independent coordinates needed to fully describe the system's motion.