Hey, so I am just working on a second year Analytical Mechanics

In summary, Analytical Mechanics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical equations and concepts to study motion and forces in physical systems. It is different from Classical Mechanics in that it utilizes more advanced mathematical approaches such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms. Some practical applications of Analytical Mechanics include designing and analyzing complex mechanical systems, studying celestial bodies, and developing theories and models in physics. To study Analytical Mechanics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Some common challenges in studying this subject include understanding and applying complex mathematical concepts, visualizing physical systems, and time management.
Johnson
Hey, so I am just working on a second year Analytical Mechanics assignment, and right now dealing with oscillations. I have two questions I am stumped on and don't know if I have it right. It is probably basic, but just checking.

6. The frequency fd of a damped oscillator is 100 Hz, and the ratio of
the amplitudes of two successive maxima is one half. What is the
undamped frequency f0 of this oscillator?

e-[itex]\gamma[/itex]Td = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\gamma[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{Td}[/itex]ln 2
fd ln 2
[itex]\varpi[/itex]d = ([itex]\varpi[/itex]02 - [itex]\gamma[/itex]2)[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
[itex]\varpi[/itex]0 = ([itex]\varpi[/itex]d2 + [itex]\gamma[/itex]2)[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
fo = [fd2 + [itex]\frac{\gamma}{2\pi}[/itex]2][itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
= fd[1+([itex]\frac{ln2}{2\pi}[/itex])2][itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
fo = 100.6Hz

Is this correct?

7. An overdamped harmonic oscillator with ω0 = γ/2 is kicked out of equi-
librium x(t = 0) = 0 with the initial velocity v0. Find the displacement
x of the oscillator at time t = (2γ)-1.

As with this one, I don't know where to begin. Anyone be able to give me a hand starting it?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
.For question 7, the displacement x at time t = (2γ)-1 is given by x(t) = x0 e-γt cos(ωd t), where x0 is the initial displacement and ωd is the damped frequency. In this case, the initial displacement x0 is 0 and the damped frequency is ωd = γ/2. Therefore, the displacement at time t = (2γ)-1 is x(t = (2γ)-1) = 0 e-(γ/2)(2γ)-1 cos((γ/2)(2γ)-1) = 0.

1. What is Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces, using mathematical equations and concepts to describe and explain the behavior of physical systems.

2. How is Analytical Mechanics different from Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a broader field that includes both Analytical Mechanics and Newtonian Mechanics. Analytical Mechanics uses a more advanced mathematical approach, such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms, to analyze and solve problems in mechanics.

3. What are some practical applications of Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is essential in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in various fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and physics. It is used to design and analyze complex mechanical systems, study celestial bodies and their movements, and develop theories and models in physics.

4. What skills are needed to study Analytical Mechanics?

To study Analytical Mechanics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and differential equations. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills to apply mathematical concepts to real-world scenarios.

5. What are some common challenges in studying Analytical Mechanics?

Some of the common challenges in studying Analytical Mechanics include understanding and applying complex mathematical concepts, visualizing and interpreting physical systems, and developing a strong conceptual understanding of the subject. Time management and practice are essential for success in this field.