Analyzing Bell's inequality for different measurement angles

In summary, the conversation discusses the Bell inequality and its violation using different measurement directions. It is mentioned that quantum systems that do not violate the inequality can still be entangled, and a reference is given to a paper by Professor R. F. Werner on entangled states that admit a local hidden variable model. The conversation then shifts to finding an explicitly non-entangled density operator for specific measurement directions, and a link is provided for necessary and sufficient conditions for violating a Bell inequality. Finally, there is a discussion about the use of a swap operator in a state mixture to achieve a different state.
greypilgrim
Hi,

I'm trying get a better understanding of Bell's inequality in the form
$$\left|E\left(\bf{a},\bf{b}\right) -E\left(\bf{a},\bf{c}\right)\right|\leq 1+E\left(\bf{b},\bf{c}\right)\enspace.$$
I'm considering the Bell state
$$\left|\psi\right\rangle= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\left|+\right\rangle_1\left|-\right\rangle_2- \left|-\right\rangle_1\left|+\right\rangle_2\right)\enspace.$$
and the expectation value ##E^{qt}## of the product of the result of a measurement of spin 1 in direction ##\bf{a}## and spin 2 in direction ##\bf{b}##
$$E^{qt}\left(\bf{a},\bf{b}\right)= \left\langle\psi\right|\vec{\sigma_1} \cdot\bf{a}\otimes \vec{\sigma_2} \cdot\bf{b} \left|\psi\right\rangle=-\bf{a}\cdot\bf{b}$$
which is a straigthforward calculation. I'm using the notation from 1.5.1 in
http://www.uibk.ac.at/exphys/photonik/people/gwdiss.pdf
which is, however, in German.

We can violate the inequality by choosing e.g. ##\bf{a}=e_x##, ##\bf{b}=\left(e_x+e_z\right)/\sqrt{2}##, ##\bf{c}=e_z## which yields
$$\left|-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-0\right|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\leq 1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$
which is obviously wrong. I think this choice of vectors also maximally violates the inequality.

However, if we choose ##\bf{a}=e_x##, ##\bf{b}=e_y##, ##\bf{c}=e_z##, then we get
$$\left|0-0\right|\leq 1-0$$
so the inequality is valid. I now wanted to find out exactly when the inequality breaks down and interpolated by choosing ##\bf{a}=e_x##, ##\bf{b}=\cos{\phi}\cdot e_y+\sin{\phi}\cdot \left(e_x+e_z\right)/\sqrt{2}##, ##\bf{c}=e_z## with ##0\leq\phi\leq\pi/2##. Plugging this in we get
$$\left|-\frac{\sin{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}}-0\right|=\frac{\sin{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}}\leq 1-\frac{\sin{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}}$$
and solving for equality yields ##\phi=\pi/4##.

So far so good, since the Bell inequality is valid for ##0\leq\phi\leq\pi/4##, there should be a local-realistic description of the system for these values of ##\phi##. Hence there must be a separable, most probably mixed density operator that yields the same expectation values as ##\left|\psi\right\rangle## for these choices of measurement angles. How can I find this density operator? I'm interested in its structure, and how it breaks down when crossing the magic angle ##\phi=\pi/4## from below.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not exactly what I want, I'm trying to construct an explicitly non-entangled (separable, can be written as a convex combination of product states) density operator for the measurement directions I mentioned.

jfizzix said:
Actually, quantum systems that don't violate any kind of Bell inequality can still be entangled.

In 1989, a prof. R. F. Werner proved there were entangled states which admit a local hidden variable model
http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v40/i8/p4277_1

Isn't Professor Werner using a product state in the article above?

Just seen this: http://pra.aps.org/accepted/20076N60Sa11d318e22f12e2030ab6559c9459dd3

I thought all entangled states violate a Bell, or other, inequality?

Now, all states that are nonseparable and pure (i.e., vector states) violate a Bell’s inequality (Popescu & Rohrlich)

I may be connecting two incompatible concepts, but are you simply noticing the pi/4 intersection points of the correlation curves for entangled vs classical systems? Look at the graph on this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

StevieTNZ said:
Isn't Professor Werner using a product state in the article above?

Prof. Werner is using a state which is a mixture of the of the maximally mixed state (the identity matrix) and the matrix representing a swap between systems.

This swap operator on [itex]\psi^{A}\otimes\psi^{B}[/itex] would give you [itex]\psi^{B}\otimes\psi^{A}[/itex]

What is Bell's inequality?

Bell's inequality is a mathematical expression that tests whether or not quantum mechanics can explain the behavior of particles in experiments, such as the famous "EPR paradox". It is used to determine whether or not there are hidden variables at play in quantum systems.

Why is analyzing Bell's inequality important?

Analyzing Bell's inequality is important because it allows us to test the predictions of quantum mechanics and determine if there are any hidden variables that may be influencing the behavior of particles. This helps us better understand the fundamental laws of nature and how the universe works.

How do you analyze Bell's inequality for different measurement angles?

To analyze Bell's inequality for different measurement angles, you first need to conduct experiments on entangled particles at different angles. Then, you can use mathematical equations to calculate the correlation between the measurements at different angles and compare them to the predictions of Bell's inequality. This allows you to determine whether or not the results violate the inequality and thus support the principles of quantum mechanics.

What are some challenges in analyzing Bell's inequality for different measurement angles?

One of the main challenges in analyzing Bell's inequality for different measurement angles is the accuracy and precision of the measurements. It can be difficult to control all the variables and ensure that the measurements are truly independent and unbiased. Additionally, the calculations involved can be complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.

What are the potential implications of analyzing Bell's inequality for different measurement angles?

The implications of analyzing Bell's inequality for different measurement angles could be significant in our understanding of the nature of reality. If the results consistently violate the inequality, it would provide strong evidence for the principles of quantum mechanics and the absence of hidden variables. This could have implications for fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.