Ancient puzzle, solved by abstract algebra?

In summary, the problem presented is to rearrange the numbers 1-11 in a specific order, with a vacant space at the end, while only being able to make swaps between any two numbers or between a number and the space. After much trial and error, it has been determined that it is impossible to arrange the numbers in the given order with the vacant space at the end. This has been proven through group theory and can be seen through the use of a permutation calculator. While some have attempted to find a solution, it has ultimately been deemed impossible.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i reackon youv'e seen it already, the problem is to rearrange the next numbers in the fixed order:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 11 10
when you have at the last entry a vacant place you need to put it in order.
this is from the text of edwin h. connell, and i think it's impossible (after a lot of trial & error on my behalf), now my question is how do you prove/disprove my assertion?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible. I've seen it before but I couldn't remember how to prove it until I looked here
http://members.tripod.com/~dogschool/permutation.html

If on each move you could make a swap between _any_ two numbers (or between a number and the space) then to swap the 11 and the 10 while leaving the other pieces the same requires an odd number of swaps. But the way the game is set up, the empty space can only be at the bottom right if you have made an even number of swaps.

oh, this old dogschool site is indeed great, this was my first insight into group theory.

loop quantum gravity said:
i reackon youv'e seen it already, the problem is to rearrange the next numbers in the fixed order:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 11 10
when you have at the last entry a vacant place you need to put it in order.
this is from the text of edwin h. connell, and i think it's impossible (after a lot of trial & error on my behalf), now my question is how do you prove/disprove my assertion?

i did not understand the problem until i quoted it. it is poorly written...the 9 11 and 10 appear to be as long as the first columns. Okay...everyone says it is impossible but...

5 6 7 8
9 11 10

9 6 11 10

5 7 11 8
9 6 10

5 7 10 11
9 6 8

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 10
9 8 11

almoust...almoust...

5 6 10 11
9 8 7

5 6 11
9 8 10 7

1 2 3 4
5 6 11
9 8 10 7

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 10
9 8 11

once again...close

5 8 6 10
9 7 11

5 7 8 10
9 6 11

that 10 just won't go down!

i give up. I'll let you with this lengthy post maybe someone uses a Rhiemann Space to teleport it into place.

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures and their properties. It uses symbols and equations to represent and analyze general mathematical structures rather than specific numbers or quantities.

2. How is abstract algebra related to ancient puzzles?

Ancient puzzles often involve patterns and relationships that can be represented and solved using abstract algebra. This branch of mathematics allows us to understand and solve complex problems by breaking them down into simpler, abstract structures.

3. What is the ancient puzzle that has been solved by abstract algebra?

The ancient puzzle that has been solved by abstract algebra is the famous "cube-doubling problem" proposed by the ancient Greeks. It asks if it is possible to construct a cube with twice the volume of a given cube using only a compass and straightedge. This problem was finally solved using abstract algebra in the 19th century by mathematician Ferdinand von Lindemann.

4. How did abstract algebra help solve the ancient puzzle?

Abstract algebra provided a way to represent the problem in a general, abstract form, allowing mathematicians to apply algebraic techniques to solve it. Specifically, the solution involved using Galois theory, a branch of abstract algebra that deals with the solutions of polynomial equations.

5. What other ancient puzzles can be solved using abstract algebra?

There are many other ancient puzzles that can be solved using abstract algebra, such as the ancient Egyptian problem of finding the area of a circle or the Babylonian problem of finding the length of the diagonal of a rectangle. Abstract algebra can also be applied to modern puzzles and problems in various fields, such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science.