And here's another one. How fast must the receiver run?

• Thread starter pebbles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Receiver
In summary, The QB sees his receiver 25m downfield and throws the ball to him at an angle of 45 degrees and a speed of 22m/s. Using the equation d(y)=v(oy)t + .5a(y)t^2, the total time for the ball to reach the receiver is 3.2 seconds. The horizontal displacement of the ball in this time is -22m/s * 3.3s. The receiver needs to travel to where the ball will land, a calculation which is not provided. The horizontal velocity of the ball and its horizontal displacement can be calculated using the given information.
pebbles

Homework Statement

A QB sees his receiver 25 m downfield and throws the ball to him at 45 degress, with speed 22 m/s

Homework Equations

well, speed=distance/total time, so i used the equation:d(y)=v(oy)t + .5a(y)t^2
parentheses indicate subscripts...

The Attempt at a Solution

t=-16m/s/-9.8m/s^2
total time=3.2 s.

But wait a second, do I have to account for the speed of the ball? Or can I now just do 25m/3.2s??

Physics news on Phys.org
you have the time correct... but I'd be careful about your rounding...

What distance does the ball travel horizontally in this time?

What distance does the receiver need to travel to catch the ball?

oops, 3.3 seconds

What distance does the ball travel horizontally in this time?
-22m/s * 3.3s?

What distance does the receiver need to travel to catch the ball?
-I'm guessing I would have to find where the ball would land, in which I have no idea how to calculate.

akldfjakldfjalkfjlkdajf. I'm exhausted.

What is the horizontal velocity of the ball?

Horizontal displacement of the ball is horizontal velocity * time.

I get time = 3.17s.

1. How is the speed of the receiver determined?

The speed of the receiver is determined by the distance between the two points and the time it takes for the ball to travel from the thrower to the receiver. It can also be affected by factors such as wind resistance and the angle of the throw.

2. Why is the speed of the receiver important?

The speed of the receiver is important because it determines whether or not they will be able to catch the ball. If the receiver is not running fast enough, they may not reach the ball in time and it could result in an incomplete pass.

3. How can the speed of the receiver be increased?

The speed of the receiver can be increased through training and conditioning. This includes exercises that improve speed, agility, and reaction time. Proper nutrition and rest are also important factors in increasing speed.

4. Is there an ideal speed for a receiver?

There is no perfect or ideal speed for a receiver as it can vary depending on the type of play and the skill level of the receiver. However, a faster speed can give the receiver an advantage in reaching and catching the ball.

5. Can the speed of the receiver be measured?

Yes, the speed of the receiver can be measured using speed and agility drills, as well as during game situations. Technology such as radar guns and GPS trackers can also be used to accurately measure the speed of a receiver.