Falling Object And Sound Takes 3.2sec

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a sea cliff based on the time it takes for a rock to drop and the sound of it striking the ocean to be heard. The equations used are based on the speed of sound and the acceleration due to gravity. However, there may be a sign error in the final equation, which can lead to incorrect answers. The problem can be approached by setting up three equations to represent the different times involved.
TomFoolery

Homework Statement

A rock is dropped from a sea cliff and the sound of it striking the ocean is heard 3.2s later. If the speed of sound is 340m/s, how high is the cliff?

V0= 0
A=-9.8m/s2
Ttotal=3.2s
Tsound=Y/340
Y0=Height
Y=0 (height at sea)

Homework Equations

Y=Y0+V0T+1/2(-9.8m/s2)T2

becomes

-Y0=(-4.9m/s2)*(3.2s-(Y0*s/340))2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many different solutions, none seem to work. I am convinced that my problem lies in the equation above. Many of my answers are imaginary, so I must have a problem with my (3.2-y/340)2 part.

It seems to me that it all balances out in units, so it should be an arithmetic problem. Yet, every time I run it, I get different results. My best guess was to try:
(-4.9)(3.22-(6.4/340)y0+(1/3402)y02)-y0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably easier to visualize if you set up three equations. One should represent the time it takes for the rock to fall; the second should represent the time it takes for the sound to get back to the top of the cliff; and the third is the total of both times.

TomFoolery:

You appear to have made a sign error in your last equation. The last term should be adding y0, rather than subtracting it. I get two real answers. (I never put any numbers in, so I don't have a numeric answer. I always use only symbols [with the exception of small integers, like 2], so it is much easier to manipulate.)

David

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses, I'll have to try the 3 equation idea and recheck my signs and run both to see if either/both work as I expect them to. This has been driving me nuts.

=0

But that doesn't work either.
Based on the given information and equations, I understand that the problem is to determine the height of the cliff from which a rock was dropped, based on the time it took for the sound of the impact to reach the observer. However, the approach taken in the attempt at a solution is not correct.

The correct equation to use in this scenario is the distance formula:

d = v*t

Where:
d = distance (height of the cliff)
v = speed of sound (340m/s)
t = time (3.2s)

Therefore, the equation to solve for the height of the cliff would be:

d = (340m/s)*(3.2s)
d = 1088m

Therefore, the cliff is approximately 1088 meters high. It is important to note that this is a simplified calculation, as it does not take into account factors such as air resistance and the varying speed of sound with altitude. However, for a basic understanding of the height of the cliff, this calculation should suffice.

1. What is a falling object?

A falling object is any object that is in motion due to the force of gravity. This can include objects dropped from a height, objects thrown into the air, or objects falling from a higher altitude.

2. How is the speed of a falling object affected by gravity?

The speed of a falling object is directly affected by the force of gravity. As the object falls, it accelerates at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared (9.8 m/s²). This means that the object's speed increases by 9.8 meters per second for every second it falls.

3. Why does it take 3.2 seconds for a falling object to hit the ground?

The time it takes for a falling object to hit the ground depends on the initial height from which it is dropped. If the object is dropped from a height of 3.2 meters, it will take approximately 3.2 seconds to reach the ground. This is because the object is accelerating at a rate of 9.8 m/s² and must cover a distance of 3.2 meters before reaching the ground.

4. How does air resistance affect the speed of a falling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the speed of a falling object. The force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down. This means that the object's speed will not increase at a constant rate and may eventually reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity.

5. How does the falling object produce sound?

When a falling object hits the ground, it creates soundwaves that travel through the air and reach our ears. This sound is created by the impact of the object hitting the ground and the vibrations that are produced. The pitch and volume of the sound can vary depending on the size and material of the object, as well as the surface it is falling onto.