Android vs IOS

• Thread starter thejosh
  • Start date
If I was a baby which would I run to?
I don't know, the one that is more green? Are you an expert in baby psychology?

Is it really useful to compare different screens? iOS has a news page similar to the Android one.
Looks like a familiar pattern does it not?
What exactly? That you compare different screens?
you cannot do anything other than a fixed set of uses on an iphone
What exactly can you not do?

I have the impression you never used iOS.
I have some experience with both iOS and Android.
Those stats were to try and help us understand that the greater public are generally leaning towards ios devices and the percentages clearly show the drop in sales android(samsung) has experienced over the last year
These statements are both wrong and directly contradicted by the source you posted.

Hay and all you apple fans don't keep quite - bring forth your valid arguments without hinderance keeping in mind that this argument involves both sides of the coin .
There really isn't any argument, picking a phone is just a matter of taste, like picking a car; choose one you like and can afford.

T

thejosh

@stoomart this string is about comparing the value level between ios and android operating systems we only use the phone companies samsung and apple as examples.
Furthermore you want choices? Then android is for you because ios (apple) only comes in one standard form (with a slight variation here and there) but compare it to the large variety of android phones with many different capabilities; durability,pixel quality, camera quality(shout out to the sony experia) e.t.c
What exactly can you not do?

I have the impression you never used iOS.
I have some experience with both iOS and Android.
Sorry please follow the link that i provided that clearly states and compares why android is more free and open than ios
Yes I have quite a bit of experience with an ios operating system as i own an Ipad and a lot of android gadgets
With that said let me be a bit more specific.
1.With Ios the user is limited to using the software and installing specific programs designed for the ios whereas with android what works on an ios will probably at least have a version that works on an android but the opposite is NOT true.
2.With android you can share apps from different devices, tweak the operating system easily to suit your needs install software that have nothing to do with the App store with relative ease, and through my experience ios devices usually have a very limited range of programs that are compatible all of which are usually created by the ios makers- this to me is a great disadvantage because if you compare the number of programs created for ios as opposed to the number and variety of different programs all over the world you'll be quite suprised to note that ios programs probably are way outnumbered meaning that variety is a challenge with ios devices- if you don't believe me consider this : in the pictures i have used is it not interesting that ios(apple) devices are usually marketed with the standard apps but android(samsung) usually doesn't display the apps because of the wide variety available to android users.
A new Apple device doesn't have as many prices as a new Android one would, though it may be better.
Apple devices are extremely, perhaps even exorbitantly expensive
Although infinity0 has some said some things that i cannot agree with (asian and american references) some of his arguments are actually quite true such as the fact that iphone typically costs a whole lot more than an android device and this is because the larger majority of people buy it because of the marketing value(in other words as a wealth status to display to other people)
4.please read this before you reply: http://crambler.com/10-reasons-android-phone-better-than-iphone/
Android has such a large variety of phones which can have better camera quality, processing speed, pixel quality e.t.c so don't tell me that ios has more desirable choices or has more specific functions for its users.
5.IOS did not have features like sharing and cloud and widgets when android had them way before (check the link in this post) so in actual fact ios is continuously copying android and not the other way around.
6. Ios is extremely user friendly but as i was trying to say this steps over the line as ios now has typical apps that everyone uses like candy crush, subway surfers, instagram,whatsapp,app-store, e.t.c (check this against what you have on your iphone) whereas android users have such a wide variety of applications , yes this makes an iphone extremely user friendly but at the cost of uniqueness, creativity, specifications (just to name a few).
7.(I have said this before and I will say it again) Android is the way forward as more variety means a greater chance for improvement means a better line of OS and technology.
What say you?:bugeye::smile::wink::wink::sat:

@stoomart this string is about comparing the value level between ios and android operating systems we only use the phone companies samsung and apple as examples.
I use Apple and Android and get value from both. Your argument is like saying oranges are better than grapefruits, it's just fanboy nonsense.

T

thejosh

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what oranges are in fact better than grape fruits http://www.livestrong.com/article/345425-grapefruits-vs-oranges/
So there is always a better side its not about getting value from both its about which has more value this is simple business.
You assumed I meant 'better for you', when I was actually talking about preference and taste, which was my original point about phones in post #27. To argue one phone OS has more "value" than another is a fruitless (pun intended) discussion.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
You know what oranges are in fact better than grape fruits http://www.livestrong.com/article/345425-grapefruits-vs-oranges/
So there is always a better side its not about getting value from both its about which has more value this is simple business.
Better for what/whom? Depending on your needs/wants/present situation one may be better than the other. And this may change. I agree with Stoomart that there is no real way of making a categorical judgement unless you clearly define beforehand many parameters.

Furthermore you want choices? Then android is for you because ios (apple) only comes in one standard form (with a slight variation here and there) but compare it to the large variety of android phones with many different capabilities; durability,pixel quality, camera quality(shout out to the sony experia) e.t.c
You suggest, in the interest of having more choices, to exclude options in the search?
1.With Ios the user is limited to using the software and installing specific programs designed for the ios whereas with android what works on an ios will probably at least have a version that works on an android but the opposite is NOT true.
With Android the user is limited to software designed for Android.
Android has a larger market share, which means it has a larger number of apps, but there are both Android-only and iOS-only apps. The popular apps are always available for both.
in the pictures i have used is it not interesting that ios(apple) devices are usually marketed with the standard apps but android(samsung) usually doesn't display the apps because of the wide variety available to android users.
I don't think random pictures of advertisements are a proper way to estimate the range of apps available.
the fact that iphone typically costs a whole lot more than an android device and this is because the larger majority of people buy it because of the marketing value(in other words as a wealth status to display to other people)
Please give a proper reference for this claim. And yes, I'll ask again if you ignore this.
Android has such a large variety of phones which can have better camera quality, processing speed, pixel quality e.t.c so don't tell me that ios has more desirable choices or has more specific functions for its users.
That argument makes as much sense as saying "you shouldn't buy [specific Android phone] because other phones have a better camera, processing speed or other nice features". With that argument you cannot buy any phone because none of them will be best in every category.
5.IOS did not have features like sharing and cloud and widgets when android had them way before (check the link in this post) so in actual fact ios is continuously copying android and not the other way around.
And iOS had features before Android did. They both copy from each other. Is that bad?
6. Ios is extremely user friendly but as i was trying to say this steps over the line as ios now has typical apps that everyone uses like candy crush, subway surfers, instagram,whatsapp,app-store, e.t.c (check this against what you have on your iphone) whereas android users have such a wide variety of applications , yes this makes an iphone extremely user friendly but at the cost of uniqueness, creativity, specifications (just to name a few).
What exactly is the argument here? "Some iOS apps are very popular, that is bad"? And don't tell me apps like whatsapp are not popular on Android.

Most of the points you listed are just a result of the larger market share of Android. You realize the irony? You highlight variety, and then advertise an action (picking the most popular system) that reduces variety.

T

thejosh

@mfb
Prices:http://fortune.com/2016/02/15/apple-android-asps/
Getting apps for android from other sources: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/safe-install-android-apps-unknown-sources/
1.The three main chargers for iPads, iPhones, and Macbook Pros. Rated an average of 1.5 out of 5 stars by 2,000+ people. I've never seen ratings so low on products coming from a company that focuses so much on their quality. Not to mention, they charge $19 for the 1m Lightning to USB, $29 for the 2m Lightning to USB, and $79 for the MagSafe 2 charger. It's thievery.

That argument makes as much sense as saying "you shouldn't buy [specific Android phone] because other phones have a better camera, processing speed or other nice features". With that argument you cannot buy any phone because none of them will be best in every category.
Like I said, not all Android phones have all these things (some have just a few or none), but the Galaxy S8 has all of the things mentioned (except the IR blaster). The iPhone 7 is the only iPhone to have had any of those things mentioned to this date. The Galaxy S5 had all these things over 2 years ago...

3.On the other hand, it is much easier to submit your Android-built app to the Google Play Store. You don't have to go through half the stuff that you have to go through with Apple. This makes your life less stressful, and I like that. How many people do you actually know that have malware on their phone specifically from an app they downloaded from the app store? I don't know anyone. Besides, has common sense just flown out the window in this day and age? The Internet isn't filtered from malware, so do you go to a website that screams "THIS IS A VIRUS!"? No, it's just common sense. If there's an app that says "Hey! This is a virus, you should probably download it so I can hack you", do you download it? No. Just like if you're buying an item online, if you are debating about buying an item, do you buy the item that is rated 4.5/5 stars by 2,000 people or the item that is rated 1.5/5 stars by 700 people? Use common sense people, and bask in the glory of how easy it is to get your newly created Android app into the Google Play Store for everyone to see.

These points are from the link I begged you to read first before answering and they answer most of your questions.

What exactly is the argument here? "Some iOS apps are very popular, that is bad"? And don't tell me apps like whatsapp are not popular on Android.
Take a look at this: http://time.com/4592864/most-popular-iphone-apps-2016/
Now take a look at the explicit language used in this article: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374865,00.asp
You'll get a straight answer as to which apps ios users commonly use but android has no specific apps because of its large variety-in other words ios(apple) is very limited and android is very, very free.
I don't think random pictures of advertisements are a proper way to estimate the range of apps available.
The study of business will tell you the way a product is marketed, especially by these big shot companies, is almost always intentional.
upload_2017-8-20_12-32-30.jpeg

Iphones 6-7 all have the app screen displayed when selling, check from the first Iphone I assure you you'll get the same pattern no, mfb this is not random.

@WWGD

What parameters?
Which operating system is better regardless of a user's tastes which one is better?
There is no need for parameters here, which operating system is faster, has more features, originality, e.t.c
This is a technical question that does not involve opinions and tastes.That's why we fight with facts and derive any "opinions from there" otherwise anybody can come and say ios or android operating systems are better that does not conclude the discussion to me, it starts it.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep linking articles that do not support your statements, or discuss completely unrelated things.
No one doubts that iPhones are on the high end in the price range. That is not the point that needs a reference. You claimed "the larger majority of people buy it because of the marketing value(in other words as a wealth status to display to other people)". And I would like to see a reference for that claim. Alternatively I can only conclude that you made that up. And if you just make up whatever you want, I don't see a point in further discussion here.

All these articles/forum entries are opinion pieces, and none of them make the claim you made.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member

T

thejosh

"The thing is Apple products are not always sold for what they are any more, but more for what they represent."
"To be honest, I’m still kind of baffled this is even up for discussion. Every study we see suggests that this is pretty self-evident. We have studies showing that Android users tend to live in less affluent areas than iPhone owners, as demonstrated by analyzing 3 billion geo-tagged tweets and locating them on a map."
From the second last link.
"The same can be said for a lot of car models, such as the Escalade SUV. There are a ton of SUVs on the road that look exactly like it, but yet people choose to buy that car for its name and the status it projects to others."
From the last link.
They're not opinion pieces they're analytical articles based on the topic at hand.
The fact that they are numerous should tell you that they are probably very accurate, if you're looking for evidence the second last one has many links to those but I can assure you that apple will not expose their customers by conveying a survey to prove that they're gold diggers.
Regardless of that fact I included many links to prove the theory was never just "made up" but is actually publicly widespread knowledge.
I am sorry I was not aware I had to prove this particular statement-my apologies:cry:

T

thejosh

@WWGD
My point WAS that most people buy them as a wealth status point and this was against iphone being better.:smile:

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
As the topic seems to be mainly a matter of taste I'll leave it with that.
Thread remains closed.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving